PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver built sites?

Denny Kyser
02-11-2010, 03:23 PM
I am very new to website building, but after years of using flash sites for my Photography Studio, want to offer a html site too.

Can anyone give me a few links to some great websites built with dreamweaver so I can see what the program is capable of, not that I am but what dreamweaver cs4 can do.

Thanks

gentleone
02-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Dreamweaver on itself is not really capable to build websites. The person that uses it... that's the one who build websites :)

You need to understand basic HTML & CSS. Dreamweaver is a handy tool for the developer... nothing more then that!

Corrosive
02-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Aye, it is like asking us to show you good examples of cabinets built with a particular hammer and chisel. You need to ask about the cabinet maker.

Denny Kyser
02-11-2010, 05:19 PM
I get your point, guess it would have been better to ask what great designers use Dreamweaver as a too.

here is my website, and as you can see its a few flash based templates but not getting me much google response, also very similar to other photographers.
http://www.kyserphoto.com (http://www.kyserphoto.com/)

Corrosive
02-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I suppose the issue is that it is incredibly difficult to tell what tool a designer or developer has used. Afterall HTML and CSS are just that. I guess if you see any DW references in the code then that is a giveaway. You might see something like this if the designer has used templates;

<!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/tmu_main.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->

You've come across one of the drawbacks of a pure flash site. I.e. very little Search Engine food. Have you tried all the Google stuff? Adwords etc?

Corrosive
02-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Why are you asking? Is it to see if DW is worth the investment? It is THE web design tool in the right hands.

Denny Kyser
I suppose the issue is that it is incredibly difficult to tell what tool a designer or developer has used. Afterall HTML and CSS are just that. I guess if you see any DW references in the code then that is a giveaway. You might see something like this if the designer has used templates;

<!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/tmu_main.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->You've come across one of the drawbacks of a pure flash site. I.e. very little Search Engine food. Have you tried all the Google stuff? Adwords etc?

Yes, and that is not the only problem, flash sites are not smart phone friendly, or good for slower internet. There is no doubt a html site that has links to the flash sites will be a good start to improving things.

Corrosive
See question above. I think we posted at the same time!

Denny Kyser
02-11-2010, 05:48 PM
See question above. I think we posted at the same time!

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear, I have almost every other Adobe program so makes it easier when upgrading.

I always have a slow time from Jan - March (Lots of snow and freezing weather) so figure I can work on my website those months.

I just did not want to invest too much time in learning a program if it was not a good choice.

Corrosive
02-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Just don't fall into the 'traps' of Dreamweaver. Don't use tables or APdivs for layout, don't rely on design view, learn the code as you go along and don't think DW builds your website for you. Also don't be tempted to 'export as HTML' from Photoshop. This site is a graveyard for posts about that!

Also stick around here. You can learn a lot from the good people at DWC :)