PDA

View Full Version : Advisability of using DW for phpBB Board

dcollins
02-09-2010, 09:13 PM
I use DW CS3 on my Mac (Tiger) to maintain a club website that includes a phpBB board.

I did a little research on the phpBB community forum to see what people had to say about using DW to edit php files in general and phpBB files in particular.

(Apparently) authoritative members of the phpBB community sternly warn against using WYSIWYG, and particularly DW, for development of phpBB source files. One writer says it's possible to use DW, but not unless one is extremely experienced and knows how to disable all DW features that cause it to automatically (and in some cases, invisibly) add code or otherwise modify .php (and related file types) when opened by the DW code editor and/or transported using the DW FTP engine.

For example, these sources claim, DW may add a space or a full blank line prior to the opening <?php tag and (in these cases) add a BOM byte to the end of the file. Both of these actions can cause the resulting files to produce serious spurious results when invoked by a phpBB user.

I like DW and I'd like to avail myself of it's features for all of my site, including the phpBB sources. I have discovered a DW preference that allows me to specify file types DW should not automatically modify.

Can anyone comment whether this is sufficient to prevent the DW code editor AND the FTP service from automatically adding ANYTHING to .php or related files I edit or transport using DW's facilities?

Has anyone else out there used DW for phpBB development and had problems?

David

davidj
02-09-2010, 09:26 PM
When working with code heavy pages its always best to code by hand using code view. This means that you should know the underlying language. I wouldn't use the wysiwyg tools as there is a risk that you could corrupt the script.

edbr
02-09-2010, 10:45 PM
you could always look at ides if dw is creating problems although as David says i cand see a problem in code view as it is then basically a text editor with benefits
komodo, html-kit, php coder are a few free ones yahoogling will reveal more

dcollins
02-09-2010, 11:22 PM
When working with code heavy pages its always best to code by hand using code view. This means that you should know the underlying language. I wouldn't use the wysiwyg tools as there is a risk that you could corrupt the script.

Until I discovered "Live Data" I didn't even know design view of a .php generated page was possible. Even so, I couldn't get it to work quite right on my first attempt ... (my running MAMP stack did produce a poorly rendered view while complaining about not being able to locate certain files ... probably an unrelated problem due to how I've got the Test site configured).

But I generally edit in Code view anyway, with a Design view split so I can quickly see the result of my adjustments. I had hoped to be able to work in this way with .php for quicker feedback than testing my changes in a browser that's served by the MAMP stack)

(In case it's not obvious, I'm just wading into the practice of testing my DW modifications on a localhost server ... my initial query is an attempt to avoid having to learn some lessons the way a dog learns to not run into the street)

dcollins
02-09-2010, 11:24 PM
you could always look at ides if dw is creating problems although as David says i cand see a problem in code view as it is then basically a text editor with benefits
komodo, html-kit, php coder are a few free ones yahoogling will reveal more

I've used Text Wrangler for a long time. Any opinion on that?

edbr
02-09-2010, 11:56 PM
never tried it . eclipse comes well recommended too but again havent tried ( yet)

davidj
02-10-2010, 05:50 AM
notepad++ is my current weapon of choice

domedia
02-10-2010, 06:30 PM
eclipse is a little different, it's not just an editor but a whole development platform. I can't seem to get away from HTML-Kit, although I've heard very nice things about notepad++, like dj.

dcollins
02-10-2010, 11:04 PM
...For example, these sources claim, DW may add a space or a full blank line prior to the opening <?php tag and (in these cases) add a BOM byte to the end of the file. Both of these actions can cause the resulting files to produce serious spurious results when invoked by a phpBB user.

Correction: The claim is that DW has been known to add BOM at the beginning of a php file. (not the end)

But the question remains: Is anyone reading this sufficiently knowledgeable about DW CS3 to confidently assert that it is possible to configure DW preferences so that none of DW's services (code editor, FTP engine or any other feature) ever automatically insert content into .php files (including php templates) ??

If yes. How?

edbr
02-10-2010, 11:38 PM
yes it is a better option than notepad in general terms also i have altered all my links set up in windows so all notepad links open notepad++ instead. however i like the php plugins for html kit saves a lot of time as im such a cruppy tiepisd!

dcollins
02-11-2010, 12:02 AM
I use a Mac ... but it seems like your saying that I should configure DW to use notepad++ instead of it's default editor ... is that correct?

Does notepad++ provide text color aids like the native DW editor?