PDA

View Full Version : I.E Error on page: Expected ")"

silver surfer
02-05-2010, 12:17 PM
SOS Please help! I'm on CS3 using a template. So this error appears on every web page. When in IE bottom corner showing error. If you right click shows. Error: Expected ")" Line 1022. Character 22. This is the line in question below.

<body onload="MM_preloadImages(Web Site Images/timeline whitby harbour.png','../Web Site Images/timeline statue.png','../Web Site Images/stay in whitby.png','../Web Site Images/famous people.png','../Web Site Images/useful info symbol.png','../Web Site Images/architecture.png','../Web Site Images/history whitby.png','../Web Site Images/useful links.png','../Web Site Images/timeline old smuggler.png','../Web Site Images/the whitby seagull blank.png','../Web Site Images/timeline whitby swing bridge.jpg','../Web Site Images/whitby seagull map clip.png','../Web Site Images/Maison Louise Hardresses Ad.jpg','../Web Site Images/Old ads from whitby's past.jpg','Templates/blank','','Web Site Images/maison louise hardresses ad.jpg','Web Site Images/old ads from whitbys past.jpg','Web Site Images/timeline hospital.png','Web Site Images/timeline abbey house.png')">
<div id="apDiv5">

The Website is http://www.thewhitbyseagull.co.uk

This is really anoying, given I'm new to web site design and I can't resolve the problem myself.
Any help is really appreciated.

rattlsnak
02-05-2010, 03:49 PM
i dont see the error message when i try it in IE. ??

silver surfer
02-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Hello,

What does it mean, if the error is only on my computer on IE? I'll have to ask other people to check, it may not be a problem after all?

Thanks for sorting out the "problem"

Silver Surfer

gentleone
02-05-2010, 04:37 PM
The error might indicate the you use spaces and caps in your directory & file names. Is not recommended... use lower case and dash or underscore instead.
Like so:
web-site-images/timeline-whitby-harbour.png

silver surfer
02-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks, thats sorted it!

DWcourse
02-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Looks like you lost a single quote somewhere along the way.

Try this at the beginning:

1022<body onload="MM_preloadImages('Web Site Images/

(add the single quote before Web Site Images…

DWcourse
02-05-2010, 05:43 PM
I originally read the title of this post as " I.E Error on page: Expected"

Some days that could be the name of most posts here.:roll:

Corrosive
02-05-2010, 05:50 PM
I.E Error on page: Expected

And it never disappoints.

silver surfer
02-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Still got that problem, it's effecting the whole site. I tried putting in the single quote, that didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas?
Thanks

silver surfer
02-16-2010, 08:16 PM
this is line 1153, the expected error is at char 284
<body onload="MM_preloadImages('Web Site Images/timeline whitby harbour.png','Web Site Images/timeline statue.png','Web Site Images/timeline old smuggler.png','Web Site Images/timeline whitby swing bridge.jpg','Web Site Images/Maison Louise Hardresses Ad.jpg','Web Site Images/Old ads from whitby's past.jpg','blank','','../web_site_images/maison louise hardresses ad.jpg','../web_site_images/old ads from whitbys past.jpg','../web_site_images/timeline hospital.png','../web_site_images/timeline abbey house.png','../web_site_images/the whitby seagull blank.png','../web_site_images/whitby seagull map clip.png','../web_site_images/stay in whitby.png','../web_site_images/eat in whitby.jpg','../web_site_images/see_whitby_lighthouse.jpg','../web_site_images/shop in whitby.jpg','../web_site_images/events the grand turk.png','../web_site_images/out and about.png','../web_site_images/famous people.png','../web_site_images/useful info symbol.png','../web_site_images/architecture.png','../web_site_images/history whitby.png','../web_site_images/contacts.png','../web_site_images/useful links.png')">

domedia
02-16-2010, 08:17 PM
The single quote should fix the problem, so you're doing something wrong.
Check the BODY tag attribute for valid syntax.

silver surfer
02-17-2010, 04:26 PM
I've sorted it now! phew. it was simply an apostrophe on a named .jpeg file

domedia
02-17-2010, 04:41 PM
in the filename? yeah that can be tricky.. glad you got it sorted!