PDA

View Full Version : Can I clean up my CSS code?

misstheresa2009
01-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Good Morning Everyone!

I am building my site in Dreamweaver and I am just beginning to learn about external style sheets. The problem is when I first created the layout I used a CSS premade layout. I now regret this because it seems like Dreamweaver used inline styles. In addition I now have an external style sheet for some of the elements.

My question is, is it too late to change everything to an external style sheet without messing up the design of my site.

BTW, I am also working from a .dwt for my pages. Can I just make the changes there?

Corrosive
01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
BTW, I am also working from a .dwt for my pages. Can I just make the changes there?

Yes, you probably could do it from the .dwt file. Just make sure you are methodical and take regular (and I mean REGULAR) back-ups. It will take some time and dedication but it is so worth getting CSS down to a fine art :)

misstheresa2009
01-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks Corrosive!

DWcourse
01-31-2010, 11:51 PM
If the style are saved in the .dwt you can move them to an external style sheet by selecting the style(s) in the CSS Styles palette and choosing Move CSS Rules… from the CSS Styles palette contextual menu (or menu: format>CSS Rules>Move CSS Rules…

If you are moving the styles to a new external style sheet, you'll need to attach the new CSS file to the dwt file in order for the styles to work.

As Corrosive suggested, you should probably back up first (and often).