PDA

View Full Version : Pre-made Templates

norfy69
01-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased Dreamweaver and a Flash Template as the company said it's easy to put together. It appears not.

Does anyone know of a video tutorial somewhere which shows me how I can use pre-made templates and edit the text?

I've downloaded a www.lynda.com (http://www.lynda.com) Dreamweaver tutorial but it shows how to make templates, but not manipulate one's bought from the internet.

Apologies if this is a silly newbie question but I'm just struggling with it.

Your help is much appreciated!

Mark :confused:

gentleone
01-30-2010, 02:31 PM
I've recently purchased Dreamweaver and a Flash Template as the company said it's easy to put together. It appears not!

Is there not a money-back guaranteed option on the Flash Template? How can they say that its easy especially if you're new to the whole web development stuff?

But on the other hand I ask myself why did you purchased DW if you wanted to buy a Flash template. If you like Flash websites then you should've bought Adobe Flash. Of course you need DW to make your Flash template search engine friendly regarding your content, but this is a whole different ball game and its not easy unless you know what you're doing. In any case you still need Adobe Flash to edit your flash template.

Ricky55 is a flash expert and can give you probably better advice then me... wait until he gets home :)

Corrosive
01-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Sorry guys, I'm going to have a... <rant>I know we would all like the web to stay unregulated and that is one of the reasons we love it but some of these companies need bringing in line. Throw away phrases like 'simple, easy and online in minutes' need to be qualified. Also 'web designers' who build websites for unsuspecting businesses using tables and DW Design View are the exact equivalent of cowboy builders and dodgy mechanics. Our industry IS the cowboy industry of the 21st Century and those of us who are honest and dedicated enough to learn our trade are undercut by these template sites and sh*t designers. I've never seen a consumer show on TV that even touches on these issues although nearly every other commercial rip-off and mis-sell is well documented and people know what to look out for. I believe that it has to stop!</rant>

...sorry :(

gentleone
01-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Sorry guys, I'm going to have a... <rant>I know we would all like the web to stay unregulated and that is one of the reasons we love it but some of these companies need bringing in line. Throw away phrases like 'simple, easy and online in minutes' need to be qualified. Also 'web designers' who build websites for unsuspecting businesses using tables and DW Design View are the exact equivalent of cowboy builders and dodgy mechanics. Our industry IS the cowboy industry of the 21st Century and those of us who are honest and dedicated enough to learn our trade are undercut by these template sites and sh*t designers. I've never seen a consumer show on TV that even touches on these issues although nearly every other commercial rip-off and mis-sell is well documented and people know what to look out for. I believe that it has to stop!</rant>

I think its better that you lie down for a moment, Corrosive... think of your heart, mate! I know what you mean and Obama said so too... its time for change :mrgreen:

Corrosive
01-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Aye, you're right. I've been out doing the 'end of winter garden tidy' thing all day and have probably had too much fresh air! I'll go and watch Final Score I think.

norfy69
01-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Hi,

I have Flash & Photoshop but struggle to get my head around it.

I'll keep up my home learning and ring up the company that sold it to me and call them a bunch of rude words i wont repeat on here.

Thanks,

Mark

domedia
01-30-2010, 09:14 PM
ok, so it sounds like you now have DW, PS and Flash. Not bad. Now you just now need some time to learn not only these programs but the principles and practices of web design. Without some knowledge these programs themselves are not going to get you anywhere.

norfy69
01-31-2010, 07:42 AM

Whilst I myself am looking to have a flashy looking website, many people just want a functional site that gets their product/service onto the internet. So these "WYSIWYG" simple website building are a much better alternative than some designer trying to charge a start up business a fortune for a site they dont need, just because they use Dreamweaver.

There's a market for everyone out there so take the stick out of your a$$ and stop ranting!

Corrosive
01-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Whilst I myself am looking to have a flashy looking website, many people just want a functional site that gets their product/service onto the internet. So these "WYSIWYG" simple website building are a much better alternative than some designer trying to charge a start up business a fortune for a site they dont need, just because they use Dreamweaver.

There's a market for everyone out there so take the stick out of your a$$ and stop ranting!

With the greatest of respect, even a 'simple' website needs to be built correctly and that takes a while to learn. A lot of pre-made templates are built in a totally non-flexible way and users end up sacrificing the content they really wanted to make it fit the template. Mental. You get what you pay for ;)

My rant was aimed to help business start-ups because we get enough of them here who have spent hours and hours trying to get poorly built websites to work. The only reason they are persisting is because they spent money on a template and Dreamweaver!

Hiring a designer for a simple, static site should cost little more than $400 - $500. If you find a reputable designer the results are better, build quality is correct, they are semantically marked-up for SEO purposes, they display well across browsers and you get a unique and well thought out design.

If time = money then hire a web designer.