PDA

View Full Version : Please help

maxamy
01-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Could someone please help me I am new to this site and relatively new to Dreamweaver. I have made a website using a free template that I found online. I just opened it up as an html file and began editing it and it grew from there. It has worked well up to this point but I just purchased a domain for it and when I try to insert a counter all of the code is grayed out (i assume copyrighted) it said it was a free template and I am not trying to modify the template just adding the code for a counter at the bottom of the page....Does anyone have any suggestions that may help. the site is http://ecrwpf.com thanks....

gentleone
01-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Looking at your code and I see that your stylesheet is linking to your harddrive on your computer.
<link rel="stylesheet" href="file:///Mac OS/Users/maxdoty/Desktop/wpfecc/styles.css" type="text/css">

Before you start working on a site site in DW, you'll have to define your site first. Search the forum for how to... this topic has been covered many times.

maxamy
01-27-2010, 08:00 PM
I found the procedure for defining a site....will I have to do this for every page? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I am very new to this.....

DWcourse
01-27-2010, 10:47 PM
You only need to define your site once per site (see http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/define-your-site.php). It allows Dreamweaver to keep track of your local files and connect and transfer files to/from your server.

maxamy
01-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Ok I followed the steps and defined the site but it didn't work....Do i need to delete the site and reload everything or is the webpages not usable since I made them prior to defining the site....I have alot or work into the website and I hope I don't have to scrap it but I am not sure what to do at this point...I deleted the site into managed sites....I clicked add new site and put all the info in....WHen I look at the site the code still shows my desktop as the folder and not the one I designated as the folder.....I am at a loss....pLease help me someone....Thanks in advance :-)

DWcourse
01-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Defining your site should have been the first step.

Defining the site allow Dreamweaver to manage the links, etc. But it won't fix existing links.

Since you've now got the site defined, you can go back and remake the links. This time they should work.

maxamy
01-28-2010, 03:40 PM
I am sorry but I dont understand....Di I have to start all over? I put index in my folder and it still doesnt work...I have the old link in the code...DO I have to make all new pages? Do you think I should try another program besides dreamweaver or are all the pages I made ruined because of this? I really do not get it...I know it may seem simple for you but not me....Now I am attempting to make a template out of a blank page so I can start again if I have to....ANd I cant figure that out either...very frustrating I do appreciate your help very much....

domedia
01-28-2010, 04:02 PM
I am sorry but I dont understand....Di I have to start all over? I put index in my folder and it still doesnt work...I have the old link in the code...DO I have to make all new pages? Do you think I should try another program besides dreamweaver or are all the pages I made ruined because of this? I really do not get it...I know it may seem simple for you but not me....Now I am attempting to make a template out of a blank page so I can start again if I have to....ANd I cant figure that out either...very frustrating I do appreciate your help very much....
I'd hate to say this, but if you had opened the manual before you started trying to hack a site together, all of this would not have been an issue :(

DWcourse
01-28-2010, 04:26 PM
There is nothing you can do that will fix the broken links. So you can open the pages in Dreamweaver and fix the links or you can just start over. Given your confusion, I'd think starting over might be preferable.

But while Dreamweaver can help, you still need to invest time learning use the program and understanding HTML and CSS.

(that said, I know someone who is offering a 12 week online course beginning in March :roll: )

edbr
01-29-2010, 12:13 AM
open in dreamweaver and use the find replace feature to correct your links other wise . starting fresh (back up your progress so far) will give you better insight into using DW though maybe