PDA

View Full Version : Problem with lost site in DWmx

A7sus4
01-27-2010, 05:23 PM
When I opened DW to amend my site today, all the site details had gone from the 'site' menu. A search of your forum seems to suggest it could be caused by a problem with the site prefs, but I'm still not sure what to do so thought I'd try and ask.

I still have the folder on my computer with all the website files. If I try and set up a new site based on those files, the following happens;

select new site + choose relevant folder = makes up the site, list of files comes up in local files, remote files come up in their window via ftp connection.

If I open a file from local files and 'view in browser', I'm able to then navigate the site (so I think the site, images, links etc, appears to be complete when it makes a new site). If I now try and amend a page, when I go to synchronize it, the local file window stops showing the list of files and just lists; Hard disk, and the specified website folder, which won't open. If I click on the HD (to see what happens!) it crashes. The program doesn't normally crash for me.

Could anybody help me with this? I don't know too much about DW beyond grasping basics, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

A7sus4
01-28-2010, 06:36 PM
I've re-installed the program and deleted the site prefs, and now it makes up the site but keeps losing the root folder. I'm able to amend a page, but it won't synchronize unless I 'edit site' and re-choose the exact same folder that was specified already. (if I just try and sync it without doing that I get the message 'root folder doesn't exist') When I go to edit the site to re-choose the folder, the file path then lists it differently as being in the 'applications' folder, despite me having specified it elsewhere.

Could anyone suggest how I could get it to recognise the folder properly??

DWcourse
01-29-2010, 01:25 AM
It's an old version and you don't say the operating system but you might try deleting the Dreamweaver preferences file (not the site prefs) but I'm not sure where it would be stored for that version.

A7sus4
01-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Im still using mx because up to now I was able to do all I need to in it easily.

I'm using mac OS 10.3.9. A search found 'DW preferences' in the library. I deleted it and tried again, restarting, etc. Though it sometimes remembers the folder and re-opens with the site files listed, synching results in still asking me to select the root folder in an edit window. The correct root folder is already entered but it shows as being empty in the edit window. If I re-select the exact same folder by following the route to it on the desktop, it re-caches the site again. until I sync.

On one level, I'm sometimes able to amend pages and eventually put them on the web. But to put it mildly, it's quite a struggle; it's not working properly and I'm at a total loss as to what to do, or how to get help with what ought to be a basic process.

DWcourse
01-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Sorry, that was my best guess. I'm afraid your going to have trouble getting help with a version that old.

A7sus4
01-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Thank you. Looking through the support on the adobe website, there are some similar problems on a mac, so I'll have to try and ask them about this directly.