PDA

View Full Version : how to integrate a blog

rattlsnak
01-27-2010, 02:59 AM
Client wants to bring his blog into his website. I completely forgot to ask if he is using Wordpress/Blogger, etc. But either way, he wants to add another page to his site that has the blog nested inside. I assume i could do this using a template or an incude or maybe call another url into an area on one of his current pages?

The way he wants to do this, is by going to his normal blog login and when he is done with an entry, it would show up on his webiste if some went to that link.

Maybe i could just put the blog login on the same page?

Any ideas?

edbr
01-27-2010, 04:58 AM
could you not use an iframe for this

Corrosive
01-27-2010, 06:24 AM
Style the blog to look like the other pages maybe?

domedia
01-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Just use Wordpress and style it to look like the rest of the website and host it there as well.

rattlsnak
01-27-2010, 09:17 PM
after talking to him again, we are going to use wordpress. i havent dug into WP yet, but what he wants to do is have a main link on the nav bar which send users to a page on his site with the blog. not so much as an external link that would bring them to the actual WP page, but to page integrated into his existing site. in reality, he will have the WP page that they offer AND a page on his site that mirrors the original. i'm thinking like using the existing template for all of his other pages and in the content area having the blog displayed.

edbr mentioned an iframe and i am going to look into that deeper now.

domedia
01-27-2010, 09:35 PM
An iframe would be useful if you were to integrate an blog hosted on a another domain.
If you just integrate wordpress into your main site, this would not be needed.

rattlsnak
01-27-2010, 10:40 PM
OK, just built an iframe and works great, but you mention integrating WP into my site and i am not sure how to do this. Right now he has an exisiting site hosted by one company and WP is hosted by another. (itself I guess), so yes, they have two different hosts. I did see how you can use their domain mapping to bring your site to them if thats what you mean, but i dont see how to do it the other way around, unless i'm not following you correctly.

domedia
01-28-2010, 02:20 PM
This has nothing to do with your domain mapping. Install wordpress over on the hosting area where the website is and export the database and webfiles over. Then look up how you can customize wordpress to look like the website.

rattlsnak
01-28-2010, 03:56 PM
ok, i found the articles at WordPress.com on how to use your host to install WordPress.org..! thanks..!

domedia
01-28-2010, 04:05 PM
http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page <- If anyone wonders. 8)