PDA

View Full Version : Uploading from dreamweaver to host

fresh108
01-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey guys,

Completely new here to dreamweaver and the whole creating websites stuff.

So I've made a little website in dreamweaver 8 just for fun, wanting to learn new things. Now I've bought a domain and am hosting it.

What now? How do I make it into a website? Transfer it onto the host so it can be seen on the internet?

Any help or tutorials would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

domedia
01-21-2010, 04:12 PM
The manual is your friend ;) Start from the start and make sure you define your site (http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/define-your-site.php) and get everything set up right.

There's plenty of online tutorials around as well. Start going through them, make sure you set off some time for learning all this stuff.

fresh108
01-21-2010, 06:08 PM
cheers buddy. I did just that. Thing is I used a template off RVsitebuilder just to test the waters. Now would I have to completely delete all the files related to rvbuilder from the home directory on the hosts server before i ftp via dreamweaver? because my dreamweaver site still isnt up when i connect remotely and click on put file!

Corrosive
01-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Now would I have to completely delete all the files related to rvbuilder from the home directory on the hosts server before i ftp via dreamweaver?

You don't have to but I'd recommend it. You may have file names there that will be overwritten. Clear everything and then put your index page.

fresh108
01-21-2010, 08:18 PM
You don't have to but I'd recommend it. You may have file names there that will be overwritten. Clear everything and then put your index page.

i have deleted files from file manager under the public_html folder.

You mentioned index.html...i have no such file as of yet but realise that i do need it. when i put i only have my front page which says under constructio which didnt "put" so i entered that page manually into public_html. now when you go on the site www.3pioneers.com the index page appears and i have to click on the enter page to view. i want that page to appear first thing.

fresh108
01-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Its okay. I got it, its as simple as renaming it index.html! Duuhh

Corrosive
01-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Its okay. I got it, its as simple as renaming it index.html! Duuhh

Awww. No fair... You beat me to a really sarcastic answer. Lol ;)

fresh108
01-22-2010, 12:04 PM
haha. too bad bro! Thinking about it dreamweavers not all that hard to use depending on what you want to do with it. I haven't messed about too much but so far Im having no trouble. :)

Corrosive
01-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Just make sure that you understand that you need plenty of background web knowledge (CSS/HTML) to use it correctly. The popular mis-conception (see other recent forum posts) is that DW will build your site for you.

DWcourse
01-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Actually the "Build My Site Button" is the most requested feature for CS5. (the "Give Me Back My Tables" button is a close second).

edbr
01-23-2010, 01:02 AM
what about the "make the pain go away button" , where does that rank? :)

DWcourse
01-23-2010, 02:09 AM
Just after the "Convert CSS to HTML Attributes" button and the Invalidate function.