PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with Dreamweaver

Mario P
01-20-2010, 07:55 PM
I recently obtained Dreamweaver because I wanted to be able to create websites. Now that I have it I am still lost! I do not know what to do next.
I could use pointers as to how to begin creating a website or templates with Dreamweaver.
Any suggestions or recommendations or pointers to get me started??

DWcourse
01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
I've got a free Getting Started with Dreamweaver mini-course that get you through setting up a site and some very basic html and css. Sign up for the newsletter in the left column at http://dwcourse.com/ and you'll receive the download link by email.

Mario P
01-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Went to your “Getting started with Dreamweaver” and it looks to be a tutorial for a different version then what I have because I made it to Chapter 2 at 2.1 defining your site then got lost.
I have Dreamweaver CS3

DWcourse
01-21-2010, 12:56 AM
I sent you an email, if you have a specific question about defining your website you can respond to that or ask it here.

Mario P
01-21-2010, 01:36 AM
Well I guess it’s the user (Me) because I can’t figure it out from your tutorial.
I want to start using Dreamweaver and creating a webpage but I guess it’s not as easy as 1-2-3 following an instructional guide because the terminology and steps just lost a simple newbie mind like mine
I don’t have a specific question other than trying to figure out the 1-2-3 steps so I will have to go to other sites to try to learn or understand on my own.
Thanks for your time and the link to your tutorial site

Mario P
01-21-2010, 02:05 AM
I apologize if my last post sounded snippy or short, it’s been a long frustrating day trying to figure these programs out and I am not upset at anyone and I don’t think it’s even your tutorial that is lacking but rather I think I need a good night’s sleep to start fresh another day.

edbr
01-21-2010, 02:27 AM
we all get that it is good to walk away and try fresh sometimes

ALR
01-21-2010, 04:16 AM
Hi Mario,

Whatever you do stay away from Window 7. You will find that DW crashes and works for about two clicks.

Best to you,

ALR

Corrosive
01-21-2010, 06:09 AM
I apologize if my last post sounded snippy or short, it’s been a long frustrating day trying to figure these programs out and I am not upset at anyone and I don’t think it’s even your tutorial that is lacking but rather I think I need a good night’s sleep to start fresh another day.

Don't worry about upsetting anyone. We are a pretty hardy bunch and will hold no qualms about telling you how it is. The truth is that folks expect that Dreamweaver will build a website for you. It won't. DW is a tool to make a web designers life easier but there is no getting away from learning how a website goes together and getting your hands dirty with code. It's like a car. You can have all the tools in the world but, if you don't know how an engine works, they are not much use at all.

It takes a fairly long time to get good...even with DW!

Not sure, but this may help you avoid some of the Noob pitfalls; http://www.corrosiveonline.co.uk/articles_beginner_mistakes.php

domedia
01-21-2010, 03:07 PM
And unfortunately, just buying Dreamweaver will not make you able to make websites anymore than buying a camera makes you a film producer :-/
You have to have some familiarity with computers and the web to start off as wll. Eventually (the sooner the better) you'll also have to learn to code a little

BarryD
01-22-2010, 04:52 PM
MarioP - I started from scratch, as you say you are. I learned a lot from a 1-month subscription ($25.00) to LYNDA.COM. I think they have videos on DW CS3. You can browse there for free. There are also a bunch of free how-to videos on YouTube. Buy some books and surf the internet. I've also benefited greatly by reading posts in this Club. Adobe publishes a book, "Classroom in a Book" with a CD ROM. The lessons I've bought are for CS4, but you might find an old edition for CS3. This book got me started. My level of expertise is still primative, but I've got a good understanding of the basics. My initial misunderstanding was that DW would create the website for me - Wrong!

edbr
01-22-2010, 11:58 PM
There are also a bunch of free how-to videos on YouTube.
be careful of them though, some will do you more harm than good judging by some of the posts here.

Mario P
01-23-2010, 12:45 AM
I understand that it wasn’t as simple as buying Deamweaver and it would be a walk in the park. I do not know how to do code but here on the forum boards using certain things like [img] and other such code to get things done is similar with the exception a web page has about 100 lines of code for each page.
I wish there was a more easy step by step way to understand how to set up a easy template and do a practice run.
I have to just do it when I am able to understand it better.

edbr
01-23-2010, 01:30 AM
well there are some free css templates here you can download or a Very simple page if you go to my different links , link, fust play around with them an you will get some experience

Mario P
01-23-2010, 08:51 PM
I found the answer at w3school
Here is the link
http://www.w3schools.com/sitemap/sitemap_tutorials.asp (http://www.w3schools.com/sitemap/sitemap_tutorials.asp)
this was I was looking for and really enjoy it as it is so complete and very easy to follow.