PDA

View Full Version : External style sheets

Dayne
01-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I need a tutorial for making external CSS style sheets in Dreamweaver.

External sounds like a good idea, just don't know where to start. Can I convert a site that is finished?

My coding skills are rudimentary at best. I'm having problems with my templates not letting me change the meta tags for each page.

Everything looks fine, it's just not functioning on a very efficient level for SEO and I know the code is a mess.

edbr
01-18-2010, 09:06 PM
external style sheets have the same informaation THAT DW puts between <STYLE> </STYLE> tags. it simply puts them in one place and you link each page tp them. you do this in dw by attaching style sheets in the css /styles panel

Corrosive
01-19-2010, 05:58 AM
Might help if you give us a link :)

Dayne
01-19-2010, 05:42 PM
My site is quite a mess code-wise. Dreamweaver keeps adding styles I'm not even using. I'm not sure how to weed them out.

Also I would like to disconnect my pages from the template so I can make each page's meta tags unique. That function is grayed out for me. I can't even change the "no edit" area on the template itself.

http://www.allergycomfortzone.com

Thanks for your help

DWcourse
01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
I don't see any reference to a template in the code of the page you posted the link for.

In DW CS3 and earlier, DW will create styles for you (style1, style2, etc.) if you make certain changes in the properties inspector. You need to be very deliberate about creating and applying styles to avoid this (or upgrade to CS4 which doesn't do that).

Corrosive
01-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Could I suggest you think about switching to a specific blogging software such as Wordpress? >> http://wordpress.org/

That would work with an external stylesheet so would get you off to a flying start (we can always help you as well).

That way, when you add stories, features and articles you would just type them in to an admin area and not have to worry about the text styling that is what is making your code look like an explosion in a tag factory!

You could get all your styles pre-set and just blog away. You'll also get features such as user comments.

Just a thought :)

Dayne
01-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks for your help.

My Home page is not connected to the template, some of the other pages are. somehow I was able to unattach the home page from the template.

Do I make a separate external style sheet for each page or one for all pages?

I do have a Wordpress blog also.
allergycomfortzone.wordpress.com

But it would not allow me to monitize as I want to do later. So I decided to connect the two blogs through links when needed.

Wordpress is a lot easier, but just doesn't give me the flexibility and challenge that Dreamweaver does. DW4 would be nice.

Thanks

Corrosive
01-19-2010, 06:37 PM
You've gone for the hosted wordpress blog. I'm talking about hosting it yourself and diving into the code to style it how you want. That would be a good DW challenge...Trust me, I have had some tricky moments with it before!

That would also give you chance to use some of the many monetizing plug-ins available. You can even plug-in a shopping cart or at least Google Adsense.

If that isn't what you fancy then the answer to your question is to have one stylesheet that controls styles on ALL of your pages apart from anything page-specific. I'd recommend to avoid having many page-specific styles as uniformity is the key to a good design IMO. Try this as a quick intro to CSS;

http://www.corrosiveonline.co.uk/tutorials_css_explained.php

Dayne
01-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Thanks to you all for your help.

Corrosive's tutorial looks like it will help me a lot. I guess I just have to jump in and get my hands dirty with the CSS. I was hoping Dreamweaver would isolate me from all that.

With Wordpress, I was trying to make it easy on myself (once again) by going with the hosted blog.

I need to grow up and start learning.

Hey if any of you have allergies, visit my wordpress hosted blog, there is a discussion forum. http://allergycomfortzone.wordpress.com

Corrosive
01-21-2010, 07:32 AM
I was hoping Dreamweaver would isolate me from all that.

Unfortunately that seems to be the view of many people who first get into DW. It's not the case. Just like having a hammer and a chisel doesn't isolate a carpenter from having to know how to make furniture. DW is just a tool and, to be a web designer, you need to understand how to use it.

Good luck and remember that we can be here to offer advice and assistance if necessary.