PDA

View Full Version : Code names are included in title pages

misstheresa2009
01-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Okay, sigh...I'm back again with a new problem.

I found this code for web page titling in one of these posts:

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

But when I placed in my main template page I was able to place titles in the child pages. But when I viewed in the browser the top of the title bar reads:

<title><!-- #BeginEditable "doctitle" -->Home Page<!-- #EndEditable --></title>

Is the title bar supposed to say this. I think it looks very bad. What am I doing wrong here?

I would greatly appreciate any help out there.

Ricky55
01-18-2010, 11:04 PM
No its not supposed to say that mate.

I don't think you have to make the title tag an editable region to be able to change it, I could be wrong on that though its a while since I used templates.

You wanna use PHP includes, they're much better and easier and more robust to work with.

Corrosive did a good tut on using them, link from home page.

You don't need to know PHP at all they're very simple to use.

misstheresa2009
01-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Hi Ricky,

What is a PHP include and how do I access it in Dreamweaver. I think once I know how to access it I can figure out how to use it.

deafboyzaudio
01-19-2010, 02:46 AM
check to make sure that <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
only appears once... with a title like that it seems like you put that code inbetween the title tags already there....

like rick said, the title is set to be editable by default, you shouldnt have to mess with it.

misstheresa2009
01-19-2010, 03:03 AM
deafboyzaudio,

I don't know what you did with that code, but it works! I can actually see the title without that terrible text in the title bar. Thank you sooooo much!

edbr
01-19-2010, 03:38 AM
What is a PHP include and how do I access it in Dreamweaver. I think once I know how to access it I can figure out how to use it.

to use php includes the web page must have the extension .php insteadof .html or .htm.
this tells the server to 'action ' any php instruction in it,
in this case an include will add content into your page from another file. there is a tut on this if you look at tutorials on this forum

misstheresa2009
01-19-2010, 06:36 AM
Okay. I will try to find the tutorials. Thank you for your help.

Corrosive
01-19-2010, 07:05 AM
PHP includes Tut: http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/php-includes.php

I'd recommend getting to grips with them as I find them less problematic and a bit more flexible than templates but they'll do the same job.

By the way, you were here when I went off line last night and you are here this morning...I know you have a website to build but you are sleeping aren't you? ;)

misstheresa2009
01-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Hi Corrosive,

lol! I've actually had some sleep (about 45 minutes). Thank you for that link. I will practice the PHP option. I think my clients will greatly appreciate it.

Corrosive
01-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi Corrosive,

lol! I've actually had some sleep (about 45 minutes).

Was that at your desk with your head in your hands? I've been there!