PDA

View Full Version : Text not showing in IE

soundchaseruk
01-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi My company webpage is acting strangley. The text seems to have gone when viewed in IE but if I scroll over with the mouse and click the text shows up.

I have not made any admendments to the site other than to the contact buton in the template on the top of the site. I am panicking as I really don't understand if I have done something or ??

The website is

www.sub-consult.co.uk (http://www.sub-consult.co.uk)

I have no one to ask about this, only this forum and it is very important so please see if you can help.

Many thanks

Keith

domedia
01-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I see the text just fine in IE.

But there's several issues with the page. Do you have any kind of validator?
You got two sets of title tags and the style declarations are split up into several tags.

d a v e
01-13-2010, 03:50 PM
in firefox you have this showing at the top of the page
<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="65001"%> (just take it out of the code)

! oh and in firefox the only menu item you have showing is
contact us

and your logo should be a gif and the correct size

soundchaseruk
01-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Dave thanks . My collegue also said he had this in Firefox. Am i supposed to build the site for both IE and Firefox ? Some of the styles seems to have got changed and the text is now white !! I have changed it all but still it doesn't show up correctly so i have to look again tomorrow and adjust the styles.

When you say the logo should be the right size what do you mean ? i thought it was. I can change it to a gif and is this the standard image format I should use ?

soundchaseruk
01-13-2010, 05:21 PM
I see the text just fine in IE.

But there's several issues with the page. Do you have any kind of validator?
You got two sets of title tags and the style declarations are split up into several tags.

Thanks for replying. What do you exactly mean by the above ?

Sorry I don't quite get it !!

Some of my text seems to be white (I must have changed something ) and have combed through every page and changed it to black text although yet again nothing seems to have changed in IE !!

d a v e
01-13-2010, 06:21 PM
this validator for example
http://validator.w3.org/

you should for all the major browsers so at least everythin works and looks reasonably pretty in the them. IE version 6-8, firefox and then check the site in opera, and safari for windows and mac if possible.

you need to make the image the correct size, not only specify the correct size in dreawmeaver in the html/properties panel. jepgs are for photos and gifs are for everything else that is simpler than a photo ;) (i.e. logos, line drawings, diagrams, most buttons. exceptions are images with a lot of colours and/or gradients - or drop shadows - that don't look smooth as gifs)

when i had a look at your page in dreamweaver in code view it highlighted some invalid markup to do with the template code - you'll have to check that.

i assume you are using dreamweaver? i would make a *backup* of that page and then make a new page from your template and see if everything looks ok in that in firefox and IE. if it does then you may have to move the content from the old page to a new page, close the old one and save the new one in its place. easy :)

domedia
01-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Am i supposed to build the site for both IE and Firefox ? You're supposed to build the site for your users, and they probably have a multitude of different browsers and browser versions :wink: