PDA

View Full Version : mobile detection...

rattlsnak
01-13-2010, 02:34 AM
OK, ive done a search and came across a few threads but none really answer my question completely..

I have found some code that detects and redirects mobile users, BUT, they all redirect them to .mobi sites or a mobile ready version.

I'm trying to find some code (or instructions) that will detect mobile users and then redirect them to your EXISTING site that has been stripped down for mobile compatibility.

Ive found a few from a few years ago, but they were very outdated and really non relevant in todays times.

**And the BIG question is: Should we even bother with trying to make mobile sites?

I've found a lot of articles about this saying that at the end of 2010, or soon after, all mobile browers will be able to handle regular HTML pages anyway..

Thanks..
Thoughts?

edbr
01-13-2010, 04:01 AM
i use a script called is_mobile you can redirect users where you want. as far as developing for mobiles i think it is very important but may depend on the site in question, but there are a lot of bored browsing commuters for example
as for the future that may be true but in many parts of the world connections via mobiles is either slow or expensive so i still think it is sometimes valid to reduce image sizes, or maybe just apply different style sheets on detecting mobile users

rattlsnak
01-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Yes, i know how to redirect them to another site if they are Mobile, but I ran across some old threads about 'stripping down' the existing site and thats what im looking for.