PDA

View Full Version : w3c validation

cocoonfx
01-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Hello Chaps

is w3c validation important? i checked my site and i seem to have a few issues.. just want to check does it matter or is it best practice to follow w3c?

d a v e
01-12-2010, 08:01 PM
it is best practice and it can *help* cut down on cross-browser issues or display problems, how important it is to you depends on whether you justify parts of pages not validating.

mostly it's really not that hard to validate a page - and why wouldn't you? - but there may be certain scripts that won't cut it and as long as your pages work fine for everyone then you may well be right in accepting that.

it's not the be all and end all, but using downright sloppy code because you're too lazy or ignorant to do otherwise makes me cringe :)

Ricky55
01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
I tend to agree with you Dave but I know a lot of people who are staunch believers in validation.

gentleone
01-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Validating your pages does bring its benefits, but indeed some web developers can bring it IMHO also a little bit too far with their w3C rule this and W3C rule that. They tend to forget that W3C is a guideline and not a rule.

I do validate my pages from the start, because I like clean code and you're a lot closer to cross browser consistency. Although, I also have to admit that it does give me quite a kick if I see the green message 'This document was successfully checked as XHTML 1.0 Strict!' after some heavy 'headache' coding ;)

edbr
01-13-2010, 12:49 AM
its like piratess code , more of a guide line IMO

Corrosive
01-13-2010, 01:35 PM
its like piratess code , more of a guide line IMO

'Answer of the week' Ed. Like the pirate's code...genius.

domedia
01-13-2010, 03:20 PM
I too agree with everyone here. Validation is very useful when developing a site and while debugging it. Any actual errors should be taken seriously, warnings more depends. Don't get fooled by web-duh-signers that claim that you're not doing a good job unless your site is 100% warning free after it goes live 8)