PDA

View Full Version : Making a Clients Log in Page - Personal Galley + shopping cart ???

Inspired
01-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi Everyone.
Will i have slowly fumbled my way through and upto the last (and most complicated) part of my website. I have no idea how to even go about it...so any information would be greatly appreciated.

What i need to achieve is the following.
Clients "log in" page - which requires them to enter a username and password. (need this page to be able to accept many different username/passwords as i will have more then one client at a time).
From there it needs to take them to their own Private Gallery, which will have a slideshow of all there images (i'm a portrait photograpgher). the slideshow will have the images as thumbnails to the side that they can flick through at their leisure if they like and i need to make it so each photo in the slideshow, has like a 'checkbox' button. (so they can select their images for purchase) and once they have checked all they like, they press submit order or something like that and it automatically emails what photo's they have ticked.

I figure this will be a complicated task - but would greatly appreciate any advice/help on how to do this.

Thanking you
Nicole

tux
01-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Hi Nicole,

You are right, what you are asking is quite complicated. If you want to do this yourself you have a steep learning curve ahead of you. Unless your coding skills are up to speed I suggest you look into paying someone to do this for you or looking for a website that lets you sell you pics.

www.clikpic.com is quite good but I'm sure there are a lot out there. Maybe use one off the shelf while you learn to build your own.

I'm a photographer myself ( landscape and still life mostly ) and have been learning PHP for about 2 years. I have built a site for my brother ( also a photographer ) and still have not finished my own. So, doing it yourself could take you a while depending on how quick you can learn.

I've stuck with it as I want my site to be bespoke and couldn't afford to pay someone to do it.

Good luck with it and I'll gladly help as I'm sure all the others here will.

Regards, Paul

Inspired
01-12-2010, 01:57 AM
Hi Nicole,

You are right, what you are asking is quite complicated. If you want to do this yourself you have a steep learning curve ahead of you. Unless your coding skills are up to speed I suggest you look into paying someone to do this for you or looking for a website that lets you sell you pics.

www.clikpic.com (http://www.clikpic.com) is quite good but I'm sure there are a lot out there. Maybe use one off the shelf while you learn to build your own.

I'm a photographer myself ( landscape and still life mostly ) and have been learning PHP for about 2 years. I have built a site for my brother ( also a photographer ) and still have not finished my own. So, doing it yourself could take you a while depending on how quick you can learn.

I've stuck with it as I want my site to be bespoke and couldn't afford to pay someone to do it.

Good luck with it and I'll gladly help as I'm sure all the others here will.

Regards, Paul

Hey Paul...thanks for your reply. Looked at paying someone but really can't afford it - thus me attempting this myself.
I would really like to complete this part myself as well, as its the last part of my site then its complete (and it would seem like a huge waste of time if i gave up now).
I dont mind how long it takes me - i'm looking at other ways/places i can put the photo's for now..but ultimately want to have the clients page on my site, as i feel it has a more 'professional' look.
I don't actually want to 'sell' my pics online - more just be for my customers to be able to select their 'favourites' and it get emailed to me, so i know which to burn to disc. (as i sell them the Hi-res image)
(I'm a natural light portrait photgrapher).

Any helped on how i go about this is greatly appreciated - even links to tutorials or something?

Thanks again
Nicole

edbr
01-12-2010, 04:44 AM
yes a php login tutorial on on this forum that would be a good place to start,it sunds like you just need a membership and a mail form within the protecred area to mail you . again there is a ,mail form here . if you check those out im sure we can help you along if when you get stuck

tux
01-12-2010, 05:59 AM
I dont mind how long it takes me - i'm looking at other ways/places i can put the photo's for now..but ultimately want to have the clients page on my site, as i feel it has a more 'professional' look.
I don't actually want to 'sell' my pics online - more just be for my customers to be able to select their 'favourites' and it get emailed to me, so i know which to burn to disc.

Okay Nicole thats sounds like a plan. What I suggest like edbr has said is you go through the PHP beginners guide video tutorials by DavidJ on this site and then come back and we will all give you some help when you need it.

Vids are here... http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/php-mysql-apache.php

They are quite easy to follow and DavidJ is a good teacher. Good luck.

Regards Paul

Inspired
01-12-2010, 10:46 AM
yes a php login tutorial on on this forum that would be a good place to start,it sunds like you just need a membership and a mail form within the protecred area to mail you . again there is a ,mail form here . if you check those out im sure we can help you along if when you get stuck

Thanks edbr - i was browsing the tutorials earlier (before i posted the question) but wasn't quite sure what i should be looking up so thankyou for that.

And thankyou Paul for the Link to it, that is great. I am bound to have questions along the way, its comforting knowing that there is people like you 2 willing to help.

Thank you so much
Nicole
:)

tux
01-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Your welcome Nicole.

Inspired
01-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Hey Everyone
Sorry i have a question already (and here i was thinking it was all making sense) I have only watched tutorials 1-4, but i thought i would ask as i go so i don't get to overwhelmed...hope you dont mind.

Ok i have downloaded the wamp and SQL Manager. The in vid 3 made the user/password - Is this in theory (as i'm just doing the same as the tutorial atm until i understand) Where i am making my clients username and password. Eg i have to clients - Fred and Jack. I make Jack a username of Jack password Jill, then make one for Fred username Fred password drop.
Is that right? is that what i'm doing here? making the clients database?

(Just want to understand what everything is for before continuing)

Thankyou again
Nicole

tux
01-13-2010, 05:55 AM
Not looked at the vids for a year or more but will after work and get back to you.

tux
01-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi Nicole, in tutorials 3 & 4 about EMS, it is just showing you how to set up your database and add some data. The username and password is for you as the user of your database and nothing to do with any users you will add to your own site later.

Try to go through all of the tutorials as Dj says and use them to learn the the basics before you even think about applying it to your own site.

Once you have learned the basics we will help you apply what you have learned to your own site.

Let me know if you get stuck.

Regards, Paul