PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a new member and also, help!

monkeymedia
01-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Hiya

I'm a dabbler with this web design mullarkey, and consequently know enough to get myself in trouble :)

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction with a problem I am having. I am formatting a bit of text in DW using CSS, in the DW preview window the text is range left as it should be, but when checking it in a broswer it pops back into the middle. I have tried several browsers, version etc etc and they all show the text as centred

This is the page in question if it helps, the text should be on the left next to bod :)

http://frostechnic.redwebhosting.co.uk/contact_direct.php

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer

Darren

DWcourse
01-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Two possibilities:

1. Set the style rules for the spans (such as .staff_dept) to display: block
2. Instead of using spans for those items use paragraphs: <p class="staff_dept">Department244</p>

edbr
01-08-2010, 12:00 AM
and welcome to the forum

monkeymedia
01-09-2010, 08:36 AM
HI and thank you for the reply

using <p> fixed that problem but has now given me another one

There's a lot fo space appearing top and bottom of each line now. Is this a case of making a p in my style sheet and giving it 0 on all padding and spacing? wont that affect the general use of <p>?

sorry for all the questions.

edbr
01-09-2010, 08:42 AM
it wont if you have used a class for the p tag, you can style it specific to that class

monkeymedia
01-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm kind of learning CSS from a book (the lost manual or something) alongside building this site using CSS so kind of learning as I go along too, consequently I didnt understand what you just said, lol sorry.

I'm one (of many I suspect) that started dabbling with web design a while ago using tables and frames for layout and am now struggling to swap over to the 'right' way of doing things.

domedia
01-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Just continue reading the missing manual, it will show you how it all works.

Corrosive
01-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Applying a class to a paragraph tag is simple.

Create your class in your stylesheet;

.yourclass {styles go here}

and then use the HTML;

<p class="yourclass">Text goes here</p>

Obviously replace with your styles and names.

monkeymedia
01-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I bottled it today and re did it using tables, lol

Corrosive
01-14-2010, 06:55 PM

Your whole site? I'll give you about a fortnight before you regret that ;)

gentleone
01-14-2010, 11:25 PM

hmmm... so you gave up on CSS? Really... do a search with google for CSS beginners tutorial (NO YouTube's) and try to get grasp on it. It is really not that difficult as it seems.

monkeymedia
01-15-2010, 06:49 PM
no no, I didnt give up on CSS, it's just the pressure is on to get the site up, so I redid the contacts page using tables to get rid of a major pain in the arse. The rest of the site is formatted uisng CSS, I just couldnt afford to be held up for too long on a silly little problem.

I will sort it using css eventually, just need it up and running asap

Corrosive
01-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Phew, that's good. We thought we'd lost one there!