PDA

View Full Version : Blank Images for Image Protection

glenlaughton
01-06-2010, 03:18 PM
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32814&highlight=hosting

Going through the forums I came across the above link and Blue Vision said
"Personally we put blank images infront of our images on our photography sites so that it throws them off but still can't be screenshot or worked around."

How does one do that with dreamweaver cs3?
I've already created my site and I was looking for a host to then test the site when I came across this thread.

I'm using Lightbox 2 for the gallery.
Besides watermarking the images is I figured lightbox is pretty safe so someone cannot (i think) just right-click the image off the site.

That being said... how does someone put a blank image infront of another image?

And while I'm here is there any suggestions for hosting in north america.
I'm in Toronto, Canada.

Corrosive
01-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Watermarking is still the best way. Even if you use Lightbox I could have your images off your site in under 30 seconds (I won't of course ;))

You can disable right click using javascript (annoying) or use Blue Vision's way (not sure what he means though) but the truth is that, once your site displays in a browser, someone can have your images.

DWcourse
01-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Putting a blank image in from of your image isn't going to prevent a screen shot (or prevent someone from looking at the code and accessing your image directly). It will prevent them from right+clicking to download the image.

If you don't want your image stolen, don't post it.

Personally, I see my images reused a lot online. I request that they be taken down and they usually are. I've recently filed a DCMA request with blogger.com over an image that someone posted there and that a few people were including in their posts and the image was removed.

glenlaughton
01-07-2010, 04:36 PM
I understand that a screen shot is the quick grab method. I'm just curious how to put a blank image infront of another image...

DWcourse
01-07-2010, 04:41 PM
The original image could be used as a background image for a div and then a blank image inserted in the div

You could absolutely position (CSS) the blank image (or a div containing the blank image) over the original image.