PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility issues between cs3 and cs4?

GVSS
01-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Hello all,

I am working with a web developer who is using dreamweaver cs3. I recently got a new laptop which I would like to begin using at work, but I have dreamweaver cs4 installed on it.

My co-worker insists that there will be issues if the files are modified in cs3, then cs4, and so on.

Is this true, and if so what types of issues might I run into?

Thanks in advance

-GVSS

Corrosive
01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
What kind of files is he talking about? The pages of your site are just HTML or a scripting language maybe. These don't change whether you are using CS3 or CS4. Shouldn't make any difference.

DWcourse
01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I didn't find any issues moving from CS3 to CS4. Although CS4 does take away some of the outdated options that a lot of people seem to rely on for editing (html attributes, table-based layout).

But, as far as compatibility of the html files, there should no problem.

GVSS
01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
The majority of the files are php and html, but she does use tables very often.

Would I run into issues between the two different versions?

DWcourse
01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
PHP or HTML shouldn't make a difference.

You should be able to edit the tables in CS4 but, if you need help, she might not be able to offer it since the interface for editing tables has changed somewhat.

If she's a "developer" she should be more aware of the possible issues (and should have given up tables by now - but that's a separate issue).

Corrosive
01-06-2010, 05:02 PM
You shouldn't do. All JC is saying is that CS4 has removed most of the support for table based design and by that I mean the short-cuts and features that make it easier. CS4 is aimed at CSS (and so it should be as tables are the wrong tool for the job and now very outdated) but HTML and PHP will be the same.

Corrosive
01-06-2010, 05:02 PM
PHP or HTML shouldn't make a difference.

You should be able to edit the tables in CS4 but, if you need help, she might not be able to offer it since the interface for editing tables has changed somewhat.

If she's a "developer" she should be more aware of the possible issues (and should have given up tables by now - but that's a separate issue).

Ha ha, beat me too it :)

GVSS
01-06-2010, 06:01 PM
So...let me see if I understand what you guys are saying.

I can still manually edit and hand code tables in cs4, but the shortcuts like the table tool that allows you to specify how many rows and columns you would like in a table are gone?

Thanks for all the help guys

-GVSS

gentleone
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
the shortcuts like the table tool that allows you to specify how many rows and columns you would like in a table are gone

No, this option is still there. It's a handy one if you need to insert a table where its supposed to be for. Tabular data!

DWcourse
01-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Manual editing of anything will work.

Some of the tools for creating and editing tables have changed (some will be familiar).

As a whole CS4 moves away from tables for layout but still retains the ability to create and edit them (sometimes slightly differently) without compatibility issues.

So, if you know what you're doing, you shouldn't have any problems.

cordyceps
03-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Hello, I have the same problems..

I can't save my PHP files in CS3 when I open it in CS4, can you help to solve the problem?

DWcourse
03-17-2010, 01:57 PM
I can't save my PHP files in CS3 when I open it in CS4, can you help to solve the problem?

I'm not sure what you mean. There isn't a CS3 or CS4 format. The files are just HTML and PHP and should open in either version of the program.