PDA

View Full Version : How do I do this?

Round One
01-05-2010, 03:26 AM
Hey All.

I have Meeting pdf's and Newsletter pdf's, from last year. and on website I am doing want people to access these, as well as having new ones as they come. Can you just put folder on site with old pdf's in them. Or is there a better way, new website is using .php pages.

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers :smile:

Corrosive
01-05-2010, 06:07 AM
I'd just put them in a folder and provide HTML links to them.

edbr
01-05-2010, 06:50 AM
the only advantage to using php would be using it to uoload , store the title names in a database to get the links to them dynamically. worth it if you plan tol add/ change or delete them in the future .

Ricky55
01-05-2010, 02:07 PM
One thing that PHP can do which I think is quite nice when working with PDF is force the download rather than just having the PDF open up in the browser.

I guess it depends on what you are after but I like this, I'm not so keen on the PDF just opening.

Not too sure how this stands from a usability POV, but for me I prefer the save as dialogue when I click on a PDF. Some users might be put off if they are prompted to download something.

I did a site recently and the PDF's were quite large files so it just wasn't practical to have them open in the browser.