PDA

View Full Version : No 'Save' option in Dreamweaver file menu

Boondawg128
12-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Please forigve what may seem like a novice question, but I am new to all of this.

When I opened Dreamweaver yesterday, my site was not there - I found it under the files panel on the right side of the screen - however, when I made a change to one of the files and went to use 'Save', the 'Save' option was disabled - only 'Save As' appeared under the File menu - if I use 'Save As', it will screw up the site - sourcing it my C: drive. Is there a way to regain connectivity or whatever the issue is?

Any help, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DWcourse
12-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Not sure you understand how to use Dreamwever. Are you aware that you can only edit files locally (on your hard drive) and then they must be uploaded to your server? Have you defined your local and remote sites correctly?

In addition, how can a "save as" ruin your site. Save as doesn't change any files, it creates a new one.

Boondawg128
12-18-2009, 05:40 PM
I am new to Dreamweaver, so I am unsure if I am using it correctly. The 'Save As' option seems to source it to my c: drive instead of our network server (where the local site files reside). We use our ISP for the remote server. I suppose I can change the file path using the 'Save As' option, but I am afraid to proceed. Before, I'd always click 'Save' and then transfer the file via Filezilla.

I also have one other issue - I tried setting the z-index (to a value of 100)of our nav menu (rollout Javascript menu) so that it always sits on top of the stcking order (it was getting obscured by page content), but it does not seem to work.
Could there be another issue here? Thanks.

P.S. Our site is at: www.chathamcapitoltheatre.com (http://www.chathamcapitoltheatre.com), if you need to take a look at it. Again, all replies are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

DWcourse
12-18-2009, 06:43 PM
If you're setting up the site for the first time, you need to define the site: http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/define-your-site.php to point to the site directory on your network drive.

Boondawg128
12-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks, I'll read it - I am sure it will help.