PDA

View Full Version : Changing a sliced image to a background for content editing

twoout221
12-17-2009, 01:20 AM
How do I get a sliced image within a layout in dreamweaver to be made into the background image (for only the area within the layout I want content) so I can add code and/or text

With fireworks or photoshop if the process is different for either.

Thanks

DWcourse
12-17-2009, 02:13 AM
You can use CSS to make the image a background but, if you're exporting layouts from Fireworks or Photoshop, you're doing things wrong and you're going to run into more issues down the road.

twoout221
12-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Can you explain? Isn't fireworks built for web design? I sliced, then saved for web on both. What am I doing wrong?

gentleone
12-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Both programs are good tools to prepare your graphics, but if you save for the web don't choose the 'HTML And Images' option, because then your layout will be save as a table based layout and that's not how it works anymore in webdesign since the year 2000 or so ;)

Save your slices separately and then use the CSS background property to set them as a background to your divs.

DWcourse
12-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Actually Photoshop (I'm not sure about Fireworks) also lets you save your layout as absolutely positioned divs rather than tables but that's not a good idea either.

Any program that takes a graphic and simply slices it to make an html page is going to yield bad results as soon as your start adding text and other content to your design. If you want to design web pages you're going to have to gain at least a basic understanding of CSS and HTML (even with a visual editor like Dreamweaver).