PDA

View Full Version : Cannot export CSS style sheet (pseudo class)

bolankeith
12-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi,
I am relatively new at CSS. I have created a CSS style sheet in DW - CS3.
I have no problem exporting/applying the style sheet to other pages (I have over 300 of them) but today I created a menu bar using a pseudo-class CSS because I wanted it to apply to one specific table on my page. It looked fine.

Problem is when I try to use the same pseudo-class style sheet on any other page it doesnt seem to import. I can open a page and import the main style sheet. Surely enough the main style sheet rules then apply to the page. but when I cut and paste the menu bar (that I created with its own CSS rule) and select it and try to find the new rule in 'table ID' I cannot find it. The menu bar just conforms to the main CSS rule, not my table specific one I created. ..how do I import the table rule and save having to re enter the CSS for this menu bar on each page? Hope that makes sense.

I guess a summary of that question would be: How do you import a table specific CSS rule?

thanks for the help

edbr
12-14-2009, 12:29 AM
use the second menu bar in your css sheet but name the class or id differentlymenu2 for example
it sounds that you have a conflit

bolankeith
12-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the reply 'edbr' - I'm not clear on what you mean by 'second menu bar' though. - I'm just learning CSS

I was wondering if instead of attaching the CSS behavior to the main CSS sheet, should I just create a separate CSS sheet (instead of my pseudo sheet)

To clarify my problem - when i go to a new page and import my CSS sheet, the page adopts the new look fine, but when i select a table, and go to 'table ID' and try to load a pseudo class sheet to make the table behave differently from the main CSS, there is no selection available. My saved CSS doesnt show.

rattlsnak
12-14-2009, 01:57 AM
not having seen your website, but why are you using two css files? why not name the table a certain class and use the original css file to style it? or make a specific class and style for the table you want styled?

bolankeith
12-14-2009, 04:20 AM
"or make a specific class and style for the table you want styled?"
thats what I am attempting to do. In fact I have done so. But it wont load to the other pages tables.

Here is the page http://zombieworldnews.com/archives/africa/africa.htm
Its the menu on the left. When I go to any other page and try to select an existing version of the menu and change it using the new CSS it wont find it listed in the table ID.

I fully expect that I am doing something fundementaly wrong. I was replicating a technique from a Lynda.com training video. Cant for the life of me see what it is though

bolankeith
12-14-2009, 05:03 AM
Update: Thanks for all the help. I fixed it. It was something I missed in the saving of the style sheet. I saved it to 'this document only; instead of to the style sheet.....its those little things.