PDA

View Full Version : Some questions re installation XAMPP on Windows 7

WotNow
12-12-2009, 03:33 AM
Hi everyone! New to this part of the club. I am in the process of learning PHP. I have just purchased a laptop and have upgraded to Windows 7. I have been browsing the net and forums to see what problems can occur with the installation of XAMPP on Windows 7. This one in particular freaked me out a bit.
"A word of warning to all Windows 7 64-bit users out there I have determined that the latest version of XAMPP installed on this platform causes the windows explorer to freeze and act very strangely. I could not remedy the problem, even when uninstalling XAMPP. It seems that installing XAMPP corrupts something which makes explorer unstable. I would be setting restore points after each software installation so that you can easily backtrack. There are still some serious issues with Windows 7 64-bit." The more I look the more confused I get. I would like to know if anyone else using this forum has experienced problems and would they mind sharing them before I download XAMPP.

My colleague installed WAMP on her vista laptop and had nothing but dramas for months trying to get it to work, so she switched to XAMPP and managed to get everything working eventually. This is why I have elected to use XAMPP.

Now I have just read an article that tells me that XAMPP is only for use in the development stage. It seems that there is a whole list of stuff to do before you can use it on the net.

If anyone has some useful tips I would very much appreciate it, I am finding this road to learning PHP very windy and full of potholes.

davidj
12-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi

WAMP is just a deployment tool which installs the 3 technologies (WINDOWS, Apache, MYSQL, PHP) in one go. They are very good at keeping it updated as well

Issues i have had with WAMP

SKYPE uses port 80 as does Apache. Close Skype before starting WAMP

Make sure you have set the correct rights in your firewall to allow Apache to serve pages

Now I have just read an article that tells me that XAMPP is only for use in the development stage. It seems that there is a whole list of stuff to do before you can use it on the net.

When you acquire a hosting service there is no need for you to install the technologies above as these are already installed for you.

WotNow
12-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Yes I would like u to teach me php but followed your link, registered but didnt receive joining instructions and also email came back as being undeliverable. Wots the story there?

davidj
12-12-2009, 03:43 PM
OH really

Thats really bad

thankyou for pointing this out

testing........

I have just tried it out and i have received the instruction

Please try again

davidj
12-12-2009, 08:31 PM
did your registration work the second time??

WotNow
12-13-2009, 03:34 AM
Yes all went well, have sent you an email