PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Language Site

GoodMike
12-11-2009, 01:54 AM
I am currently setting up a website for the school i work for. I need to make the site dual language. First i am getting the site set up in English. I know that i will then need to make a copy of the site and edit the information to be in my second language. That much I understand. Here is where i get a bit lost...

When i make a copy of the site, do i copy EVERY file and folder and put it into its own folder for dreamweaver? For the English site do i also put it into its own folder for dreamweaver? Right now i have a folder, lets call it "Website", there exists all my files. So inside the "Website" folder should i create a EN and a KR folder?

So after i make the copy, and edit all the information, im pretty well lost. I know i will have to change all the links in the KR so they all follow eachother. Are there any scipts or code to help auto detect a computers preferred language? What i would really like to avoid is making everyone go to a "welcome" page that makes them pick a language every time they go to the site, i think that is tacky.

ANY help would be really appriciated. And remember, talk slow, im in the reteaching process of programing, its been a while.
THANKS!

edbr
12-11-2009, 02:49 AM
i would chosose a 'main language and put those files in the root folder then subsequent languages in there own folder.
link if relative will be appropriate to the folder they are in or you could make them absolute. http://www.your_site.com/index etc
i do this on the villa site in my signature btw

re detecting languge is more tricky you could do this based on ip address and country but not perfect. for example im english and i live in indonesia.

Corrosive
12-11-2009, 08:22 AM
for example im english and i live in indonesia.

Way to rub it in Ed ;)

GoodMike
12-11-2009, 09:28 AM
i would chosose a 'main language and put those files in the root folder then subsequent languages in there own folder.
link if relative will be appropriate to the folder they are in or you could make them absolute. http://www.your_site.com/index etc
i do this on the villa site in my signature btw

re detecting languge is more tricky you could do this based on ip address and country but not perfect. for example im english and i live in indonesia.

Ok, i think i got the idea. Its kind of funny, 99% of the people who will visit my site will never look at the english version, but we have to have it that way anyways! Thats ok.

I have found a script that is supposed to put a cookie, or go off of browser settings, but i have no idea how to make it work. >.<

GoodMike
12-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Oh, and im American, but i dont live in the states ;)

domedia
12-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Its kind of funny, 99% of the people who will visit my site will never look at the english version, but we have to have it that way anyways! Then it sounds obvious that the other language should be default, and that you make the english version an option.

GoodMike
12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Then it sounds obvious that the other language should be default, and that you make the english version an option.

You would think so. But gotta go the other way. Firstly cause i need to set everything up in english since i dont speak the other language. Secondly because we are an english language teaching school. haha. Having the site in English is a status thing here. Apparently not many of the "English Schools" have someone fluent in english.

domedia
12-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Ah I see.. several factors play in here.. Sounds like some puzzle you have to solve ;)

edbr
12-11-2009, 11:56 PM
you should also consider how your visitor will find you if mainly by search engine what language will they search in? status aside if they want to learn english would english be a good language to have as default then,
not knowing the size of your site or how much content you could maybe ad a translate link and have the second language as a pop up using jvascript , bit fancy pants but you never know.
or maybe an index page with intro in both languages with your initial introduction and a continue link in each section to direct to the language of choice.