PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP! Need help resizing .swf file to fit dreamweaver template when browser window is changed

kkvojak
12-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I NEED MAJOR HELP!
I am making a website in dreamweaver using adobe cs4 series. I am inserting .swf files into my dreamweaver template. I am using a liquid dreamweaver template with a heading, footer, body, and a sidebar on each side of the body, ect.

My problem is…. when i insert the .swf file, everything works great when i preview it except i cant seem to get the .swf file to stretch when i change browser sizes so that it fits the length of the header. Im NEW to flash and trying to figure this out on my own. IV BEEN SEARCHING GOOGLE FOR THE ANSWER FOR 3 HOURS NOW AND GETTING FRUSTRATED! PLEASE HELP!

I basically need to make the .swf filel liquid to my header so it stays within the borders of the header when i change minimize or maximize my browser or change browser size. If i didnt explain this well, please message me back and let me know.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE?

kara

domedia
12-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Hi Kara, no need for shouting :)

Change the width and height of the flash file to use a percentage instead of an absolute values. How you do this would depend on width technique you're using to add the template.

Usually using a flash header with a liquid layout is nt a good idea.
Also see this on how ti give as much information as possible in a post about a problem:
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23515

kkvojak
12-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Im sorry to say i still dont understand what to do. I am new to flash. I have already tried resizing my flash file so to a percantage when i insert it into dreamweaver it makes my .swf file stretch across the WHOLE browser screen. I just want to make my .swf file stretch across the template header what a browser is maximized or minimized. In other words, i want to make sure the .swf file fills up the whole header section in my dreamweaver template no matter what the browser size is. Can you please give me advice on what i should do in this situation?

Thanks

Kara

domedia
12-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Unless you can say how you're doing this, it's going to be hard to tell you 'change this or that'. That's what I tried to say in my first reply and why I aslo linked to the sticky thread in this forum so you would know better what information is needed in order to help you.

All I can say now is that you don't have to change anything in your flash file. The swf format is vector so it can be resized where it is embedded. So in your HTML/JS (depending on which method you are using, you have not told yet) you would change the absolute size values to a relative one using percentages.

Can you possibly put your page up on the web and give a link?

kkvojak
12-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Sir,

I did read your sticky note with the reference to giving the proper information. The coding is long and i didnt know if you wanted me to post the whole pages coding on this screen. Unfortunately at this time i am unable to post the website so that you can view it because i am using the same domain name as a website that is currently up. In other words, i am re-designing a web site and will be taking the current website down when this one is completed, so i cannot put it up right now because they have the same domain names and in order to do that i would have to take the other one down is what i am told anyways.

Like i mentioned before, i am new to flash and dreamweaver. The flash file works great, i just want to resize the .swf file so it fits within the header of the template that i am using. But i also want it to auto resize itself to correctly stretch to fill the header of the template when other browser sizes are opened. Maybe i am not explaining this well, but i feel that this should be relatively easy to do, yet it doesnt seem to be.

I am using a HTML template. The name of the class is as follows: thrColLiqHdr

The layout is; 3 column liquid, header and footer
The Doc type is: XHTML 1.0 Transitional

So, i inserted the .swf file into the header region. The .swf file works, but i need to make it so it stretches across the full length of the header portion in all browser windows. How can i do this? Sorry for the detail, im just trying to explain it better. Isnt there some way i can just make my .swf liquid to fit the header? Adobe really makes this much more complicated then it needs to be. I appriciate your assistance in this matter.

Kara

domedia
12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi Kara, it would help if you went through the process of how you added the flash file. Did you do Insert > Media > FLV?

Can anyone that has CS4 explain in really easy terms exactly where the change needs to be done? Is it in the swfobject js file?

kkvojak
12-08-2009, 06:56 PM
I inserted the file as so:

Insert > Media > SWF

It would not let me insert the FLV file directly. It wouldnt work so i inserted it as a SWF file and it works fine. Just having the resizing problem.

I did not pull the file from the swfobject js file, i just pulled the .swf file from a folder that i have set up for this webpage off of my computers My Documents section. I hope that makes sense. I am just lost here and i dont know who else to ask for help. This is the first and only problem i have run into so far with this website. There has to be a semi-simple way to do it i would think? I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks Again for all of your assistance.

Kara

domedia
12-08-2009, 07:06 PM
If the swf file is still in your documents folder, it needs to be moved.
Hopefully someone can come into this thread and give you exact instructions about how to make sure the swf file resize automatically.

kkvojak
12-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Can you please direct me to where i need to move it?

Thanks

edbr
12-09-2009, 12:48 AM
can you post the code that inserts the file only then, that will help understand how it is coded

edbr
12-09-2009, 01:40 AM
a quick yahoogle found this
http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/tutorials/Embedding-Flash