PDA

View Full Version : IFRAMES help

richcodesign
12-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Hello all,

Im creating a site that i think may have to use iframes.

I say this because, im replicating a similar layout that has been created with iframes.

The site has all the usual items eg. header, footer, left navigation menu, content area, etc.
I need to use iframes in the "content area" that will list 4 tabs and when each tab is selected it will show info on that particular product. I have never used iframes but thought that this would be better that creating a separate page for each tab.

Can someone provide me with their thoughts on how they think is the best way to go about this. iframes or no iframes.

richcodesign
12-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Please see attached a visual

Corrosive
12-07-2009, 11:51 AM
I have never used iframes but thought that this would be better that creating a separate page for each tab.

I disagree. I'd use a fresh page for each tab.

gentleone
12-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I disagree either, because iframes are bad practice for SEO reasons. Either use fresh pages or if you really want the Iframe effect then you can consider to use AJAX to load hidden content (thus not external content) in a div. On the other hand using AJAX is also not really search engine friendly. Although se's will scan the whole content, a link from a search result to a specific part of content in lets say 'tab 3' will just open the website with the content from 'tab 1'. So the visitor is lost and have to search through the site himself and this he won't do because the average website visitor is lazy and wants to find immediately what he's looking for.

richcodesign
12-07-2009, 12:43 PM
wow... thats a great help. and as i need the site to be se friendly - iframes are not the way forward.

So... in short - create my pages separate for each tab!

domedia
12-07-2009, 02:21 PM
The whole concept of the web deals with pages as individual pages with their own unique URL. So it's not just a matter of SEO, imho. The concept of using frames for site structure is on a crash course with the very fundamentals of the web. Just as using tables for layout crashes with the concepts of a semantic web.

ok, I'm a little dramatic, but you catch my drift ;)