PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver + Database = Confusion for complete beginner

devster
12-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi folks,

An early seasons greetings to you all.

I'm after some advice if that's OK? Basically I've been tasked with creating a website where a user comes in, on the left they will see some links that takes them further, eventually coming to a point where they can download a file. Now, to someone who has never, and I mean never, created a website what would be the easiest, most simplest way to do this?
I'm guessing that a database would be needed to store the pesky files? Then an application (Dreamweaver, yay!) to design the front end and link the two in perfect harmony. So my question really is, what tools would be best for my task? The site doesn't need to be fancy 'click, click, download'...that's it!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Best regards,

Dev

edbr
12-03-2009, 01:22 AM
you wont need s database to down load files as such, what would be the format of the files to download?

devster
12-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi edbr,

Thanks for your response. Apologies if by format you didn't mean what I'm about to tell you. But the format the files are in is '.bin'. They range from 8mb to 80mb in size, so fairly large.

Thanks again,

Dev.

edbr
12-03-2009, 10:39 AM
well this nay not be how you want to do it but were those files compressed as in a zip file, which would make downloading quicker they would download automatically in clicking their link

devster
12-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Putting them in a zip file wouldn't be much of a problem. If it would make life easier then yes, I'd be happy to do that.

Any thoughts?

Dev

Corrosive
12-03-2009, 04:40 PM
That's how I'd do it I reckon.