PDA

View Full Version : database table design

dwguy
11-26-2009, 06:41 AM
I was just wondering the best way to organize user uploads/data in a custom made CMS. I am starting to design my own and needed some opinions from the experienced developers on here.

Right now I ahve a table for user info like login and name/ email.
I wanted to have info for user uploads like captions and comments and ratings for specific pictures and videos.

I guess my question is how do sites like you tube organize their databases with all those uploads/ratings comments/captions and user info? whats the best, most efficient way?

edbr
11-26-2009, 06:53 AM
if you want to have a lot of tables like that you might want to look at creating views to link them. other tan that tables are tables and ti would depend on your needs

dwguy
11-27-2009, 08:21 PM
did some research and I was unclear about if views can be used to link data from different tables or not.

I was thinking of having individual tables for pics and video. Each one would contain comments/ratings on uploads for that particualar user, respective to their categories.

When the user logs into their control panel then a "sql view" would populate the data from multiple tables and show all the info on all their pic and video uploads.

Would views work this way? does this sound like an efficient design?