PDA

View Full Version : Proper H Tags

Blue_Vision
11-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Ok, back to CSS 101 apparently... sorry : (

I just learned that I'm abusing the H tags. I didn't realize that they are in-valid after 6.

Remembering this is an artistic website... what is the most appropriate thing to do here. Basically I have alot of pages and I'm controlling them all from one external CSS page. I have a decent amount of subheadings (I guess we will call them) that contain different size and colored fonts on different pages.

Another example is the Artists "about" page. At the top of the page it says the artists name in Large Bold Colored letters and then right below that name it states in a tiny different colored font "Artist". I was going to use 2 separate H tags for that but now I'm guessing I shouldn't use the H tag at all so what should I be using? Should I be calling the styles right inside the html (I was avoiding since I might use that same font on other pages and its easier to update if its CSS inside my CSS page). Should I use the P tag like I would the paragraphs? A div tag? What?

Thanks so much for your help! Sorry its so 101 but I'm getting alot better at this believe it or not. I'm almost able to think on my feet as I keep learning more and more rules.

edbr
11-26-2009, 02:27 AM
where di you read that? and do you mean after ie6. this is not so ht tags for one do have some weight in search engines so us them ' this might help
http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_hn.asp

Blue_Vision
11-26-2009, 04:29 AM
(everything tested using the "live" button in DW and not actual browsers)

My H7 & H8 tag wouldn't work for most of its margin and padding properties. So I tried them on a different part of the page and they worked fine. I then copied my H4 tag's properties (not including the the tag name) and pasted it over my H7 in the area that it wouldn't work and it wouldn't work. I un-did that and just used the H4 name and tag properties and it worked fine.

I then started googling if you were supposed to use more then 6 and I found some forum cases stating that you can't or they are rendered invalid.

Even the link you just gave me states this everywhere:

"The <h1> to <h6> tags are used to define HTML headings."

I agree about the SEO. I think I learned that elsewhere in this forum and thats another reason I was using H tags for everything.

So am I misunderstanding all this info or what should I do?

edbr
11-26-2009, 04:51 AM
right now i understand, sorry . i thought you were saying
I didn't realize that they are in-valid after 6. meaning IE6
more than 6 styles of headers are a lot, so are you really using them as headers.
for example H! Cars
H2 automatic cars
h2 manual cars
h3 manual petrol cars
h3 automatic petrol cars
Its not a very good example but i hope you get what i mean. don't use h tags purely for styling purposes but for content relevant headings use classes to style. i suspect if you do this your problem will go away

domedia
11-27-2009, 04:05 PM
I can't imagine any ever needing to use h7 or 8 for any kind of document. Are you sure your document structure is sound?