PDA

View Full Version : ie6 moves image container below menu??

stuy
11-25-2009, 03:48 PM
ok. so i really don't know what to search for to find a solution to this problem so i might be repeating an existing thread. if so, my apologies.

here's the problem:

i have a menu on the left in fixed position (works fine in all browsers)
i then have a img container that holds the remaining content... pics, text, etc.. i have the content in the container set up as a horizontal scroll. works fine. the problem is that i want that content to show up to the right of the menu and as you scroll, it slides behind the menu section. this works in ie8, firefox, and chrome. ie6 however throws it below the menu, so you have to scroll down a ways. thoughts? not all the links work yet. the first 4 in the works section do and you'll see what i mean. here's a link to the temp location:

http://www.luurdesign.com/loader.html

Corrosive
11-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi Chris

IE6 doesn't support 'position-fixed' I'm afraid. It's one of the trade-offs for using what is a very useful CSS property.

stuy
11-25-2009, 05:27 PM
so it's that ie6 doesn't recognize that the menu is fixed... which forces it to default to it's vertical (list style) formatting of information. no way around this?

i'd be ok with the menu bar scrolling with the content in horizontal scroll for ie6 only and working the way i want for the newer browsers. i'm not sure how that would solve the dropping down of the content section.

Corrosive
11-25-2009, 05:57 PM
It might be the width you have set on the img container ID. You could try removing that or adding an IE6 specific stylesheet to give it some more 'breathing space'.

stuy
11-25-2009, 06:10 PM
i think i have that right. i made sure all the numbers plus margin/padding add up, plus a little more. i noticed that when i didn't have that number right, it drops my last image or last couple, but not the entire container. let me play with removing it. i guess- adding in ie6 specific style would work, too. sucks- although most of the style is an external sheet, some (i think all pertaining to the container) are in each page.

Corrosive
11-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Giving it no width should leave it free to do what it wants to. Can't vouch for it not messing up other parts of the site though. If it helps, I think you have used the correct approach to have these styles specific to each page.

stuy
11-25-2009, 06:23 PM
doing some software updates, so haven't played with it yet, but first thought is that if i leave the width off, it will default to vertical scroll... standard vertical list.

Corrosive
11-25-2009, 06:40 PM
You may well be right. Only one way to find out though :)

stuy
11-29-2009, 07:44 PM
so after a mess of reinstalling my operating system and the problems that came along with that, i'm finally back on the website.

i ditched the width of the container and checked it in ie8 and it does go to vertical list. the menu does stay fixed. my guess for ie6 is that it does the same but the menu moves with the container. would like to find out for sure, but i can't find a virtual pc mode of xp or 2007 to run on vista home premium. any suggestions here? all the ones i found are for all the other vista types... business etc. thoughts?

stuy
11-29-2009, 08:27 PM
so how would i handle a style option for ie6? basically, right now i have my fixed position menu with my other content in a container with width past all added widths, so i get the horizontal scroll. in order to please ie6, i think i need to have everything in the container with no fixed position. not sure how to write this. am i over thinking it? could i just create a code for ie6 that says no fixed position or something on the menu?

stuy
11-29-2009, 08:35 PM
ok. so, when just changing menu from fixed to absolute, it reads in firefox like i thought. menu and container in line and all horizontal scrolling. i would assume that if i can write a code to say fixed, absolute for ie6, that would solve. don't know how to do this though. anybody?

stuy
11-29-2009, 08:42 PM
found this:

<!--[if IE 6]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/IE6.css" />
<![endif]-->

now, just wish i had ie6 to check. if anyone knows how to get ie6 on vista, let me know. as mentioned before, can't find virtual pc of xp or 2007 for vista home premium- only for business and others.

stuy
11-30-2009, 07:31 PM
if anyone is following this post other than myself... the code for ie6 worked. i just saved an extra stylesheet as ie6.css and made sure that the menu was in absolute position instead of fixed and viola! ie6 places the menu and container side by side and all of it scrolls horizontally. for all other browsers, the menu is fixed and the container scrolls behind it.

for those of you who are interested in this style of website, here is a link to some great ones!

http://designtutorials4u.com/30-of-the-best-horizontal-website-layouts-for-inspiration/

enjoy!

oh yes- one more thing. i had to find a friend that had ie6 and could check it for me. i never could find the virtual pc of xp or 2007 for vista home premium. if anyone can find, let me know.

Corrosive
11-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi Chris

I've been following your struggles dude ;)

This is not a replacement for a live environment but you could try this for IE testing; http://my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

Glad to hear you got it sorted and it's good to come back with your solution so others can learn from it. Nice one :)

stuy
11-30-2009, 07:52 PM
lol. struggles indeed!

cool, thanks! i'll give this a try. nice find!

be sure to check out the link. there are some very cool ones in there. the last one (faub site i think) does some cool stuff with the logo. it's fixed and has an interesting opacity setting on it so it reads one way over the bg and then does a burn when over images.

cheers!

stuy
11-30-2009, 07:59 PM
just tried the ie tester. works great. for anyone loading, make sure you read the limitations. running as admin fixed mine. thanks corrosive!

Corrosive
12-01-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm still not convinced by the whole sideways scrolling thing. I just imagine my parents using one and failing miserably! I guess it depends on audience though.