PDA

View Full Version : Using a gif instead of html

Kenneth59
11-23-2009, 01:13 AM
greetings, any problem having a web page with just one large gif 950px x700px imported from illustrator as long as its under say 50k in size? I understand it would slow down the page somewhat viewing if someone was using dial up but with hi speed shouldnt be a problem.

DWcourse
11-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Yes, there are problems. To begin with, the content won't be visible to search engines, it will be more difficult to make simple text changes on the page, and body text looks a lot better as real text than as an image.

Kenneth59
11-23-2009, 01:55 AM
appreciate the quick reply, yes i understand the search engine situation. As far as simple text changes the ad (it starts as a print ad in the form of a flyer) for the client is saved for updates every other day or several times a week. So its really not necessary for the search engines to index the page. Sorry i should of explained better what was being done. Basically the client has us create ads for newspaper and/or flyers to distribute and its this exact layout he wants posted to his web page. So instead of completly updating a legitimate web page I assumed it would prob be acceptable just to convert his ad to a gif or even a png and upload it to his page. So, knowing this is there any other reasons why this shouldnt be done?

edbr
11-23-2009, 03:10 AM
if you used a standard html page you could get all the advantages and the design could upload as content. If you just want to use 1 image it will be your choice , possibly you might have some browser rendering problems down the road, i have no experience making web pages this way but their has been a few problems posted here, have a search though previous posts

d a v e
11-23-2009, 01:01 PM
you will have accessibility issues to for screen reader users - as you will, i assume, have probably to much content to put in the alt text and will have to think about long description.

DWcourse
11-23-2009, 03:03 PM
The only useful purpose the page will serve is to make your client happy (which may be enough justification for doing it). However I would at least add some text links off the page so that if a user actually gets to the ad, he can get back to the rest of the site (assuming there is a rest of the site).

Kenneth59
11-24-2009, 02:03 AM
dw, correct, it would make the client happy as it makes no diff to me, he just wants the exact same print ad/flyer posted on his website and every couple days he updates the ad, he wants the web page is to be updated as well. Yes there will be a email link and a link back to the the index page. Appreciate the other replies and yes understand the issues with just uploading his ad but this particular client wants things done his way. My only concerns was slow loading but if file size is kept reasonable and since most are on dsl nowdays loading time shouldnt be bad.

d a v e
11-24-2009, 03:10 AM
you might consider pdf too but i think that sticking with a gif would suffice ;)

domedia
11-24-2009, 02:27 PM
greetings, any problem having a web page with just one large gif 950px x700px imported from illustrator as long as its under say 50k in size?
I think 50kb is more than small enough.