PDA

View Full Version : How do I add a new template I created to an existing page w content?

peanut72
11-18-2009, 09:17 PM
I was given a existing website to freshen up. I want to change the heading banner and the side vertical nav. I created a template with a new banner and nav bar on left.(basically a frame)
I open an existing page that has the old banner and old nav bar and content in the middle.
So I go to add my template and when I do the middle content is not visible, just the new banner and nav bar?
I have about 30 pages I need to update.
I want to keep the body content, but it looks like my new template is just going over it...

Do I have to manually add the nav bar and heading seperatly on each page?
Im not familar with php, so is there another way??
thanks much!!

DWcourse
11-18-2009, 10:02 PM
1. You could have updated your original template and then let the changes flow through to your pages.

2. When you apply the template to an existing template-based page, if the editable regions have the same names in both templates the old content should flow into the new one without a problem.

3. If you have editable regions in the old template, when you try to apply the new template to a page using the old one, you should get a dialog asking you to redirect the content to editable regions in the new template.

If that's not what's happening, perhaps you didn't correctly use the original template to build your pages or perhaps you haven't created the new template correctly. Hard to tell from here but I could probably tell if you have a link where I can look at your existing site.

peanut72
11-19-2009, 01:33 PM
How do I know if a template was used before?
What Ive been trying it deleting the nav bar, then then banner then adding new ones, which is a pain, as I have to do it to many pages....
www.sanfele.org <-- is the site i need to work. Not sure if the nav bar and barnner is a template.... i would just like to replace throughout whole site...
thanks agian:)

domedia
11-19-2009, 02:37 PM
You can tell if a template was used if you see the template comment tags in your files.

peanut72
11-19-2009, 03:37 PM
I dont see any template tags.
Can you view the source and tell me?
www.sanfele.org (http://www.sanfele.org)

I see a table. do you think these were all manually added per page?

Corrosive
11-19-2009, 04:22 PM
I don't think your site is template based. It's probably been added per page unless you can see any php includes references in your code.

DWcourse
11-19-2009, 10:14 PM
No, that page is not linked to a Dreamweaver template.