PDA

View Full Version : Chit-Chat in threads

DWcourse
11-18-2009, 02:04 AM
Picling up on a topic from elsewhere.

Personally I've never minded when a thread strays a bit or someone introduces a bit of socializing. In fact that socializing helps keep a forum healthy IMHO. But, if a thread does get too far astray, I believe the moderators have the option of splitting it.

edbr
11-18-2009, 03:40 AM
indeed! but thanks for picling up on that point :)

Corrosive
11-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Personally I've never minded when a thread strays a bit or someone introduces a bit of socializing. In fact that socializing helps keep a forum healthy IMHO.

I will continue to try and be a sociable and helpful member. Agree with DWCourse. It is the life blood of a forum. Those bits of humour.

gentleone
11-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Yes guys! You must see it like this. If you like it or not, this forum became a help-desk. So in between the helping it is must to have a chit chat about something totally different or something totally uninterested ( :) can also be fun sometimes). I guess that's what they do too at those big company help-desks otherwise the help-desk-job-function could drive you crazy.

hmmm... does this make sense at all... well, if so you can file it under 'totally uninterested' :lol:

edbr
11-18-2009, 08:29 AM
no i agree completely, if i didnt want to help peoaple i would have been gone a long time a ago, yes people can get snippy either through stress or down to the bone marow rudeness, not much to do about that.
i think the peve that corrosive refers to is not that people want help its the " ive been waiting 20 minutes to an answer what are you stupid!! " typeposts that i tend to ignore instinctively
banter? of course lifes way too short to be serious all the time.

Corrosive
11-18-2009, 12:49 PM
I think Ed has hit the nail on the head. I love helping nice people to reach their goals or I wouldn't bother doing this but I do have some 'pet peeves'.

1. Posters who 'kick off' if their question is not answered in 20 minutes. This is not a helpdesk and we are not paid for our time.
2. People who refuse to listen to the answers you give. I.e. 'my tables are wrong but I don't want you to tell me that I shouldn't use tables'
3. People who say 'can you just give me the code' and who can't be bothered to research and learn themselves.
4. Those who take the answers and then never come back and help others. Not the idea of 'community' at all.
5. People who don't at least check the FAQs before posting.
6. Youtube tutorials!
7. Smurfs...those little blue b******s get right on my nerves...

I, like Ed, love a bit of banter and miss having DJ around. He is (and always will be) the king of grumpy, Geordie banter ;)

gentleone
11-18-2009, 01:35 PM
As you know, I'm fairly new to the Dreamweaver Club although I'm using DW about for 8 years now. I've always searched for the answers on my questions in the 'Help' of DW and if that was still not clear enough to me I ask my biggest digital friend, Google, to find the answer for me. It got me where I am now.

I totally understand and agree to you points, Corrosive. When I asked my first question here on DWC (yes, even Google let me down on this one :) ) and after my problem was solved, I could also say thanks and leave the DWC for what it is. But no... I like it here and I think I can help DW beginners too and like to discuss DW, HTML or CSS related things. Bottom line... I'll stick around for what its worth and I will learn from others issues too, so it kinda works both ways for me. ;)

gentleone
11-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh.. and by the way. That bartender here in the DWC cafe is pretty slow... I've ordered 15 min ago a beer and still no beer... :x

Corrosive
11-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Oh.. and by the way. That bartender here in the DWC cafe is pretty slow... I've ordered 15 min ago a beer and still no beer... :x

You're too late. Ed drank the bar dry weeks ago ;) (sorry Ed, couldn't resist)

gentleone
11-18-2009, 02:21 PM
You're too late. Ed drank the bar dry weeks ago

Bummer! I almost wanted to suggest to fire the poor bartender.

domedia
11-18-2009, 03:58 PM
I should be fired, but also you guys drink way too much.
Corrosive, did you ever bartend by any chance? ;)
I'm ready for retirement..

Corrosive
11-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Corrosive, did you ever bartend by any chance? ;)

Many, many moons ago. Late 90's I think was the last time I pulled a pint. I do make a nice cup of tea though.

DWcourse
11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
OK, this is really P****g me off! Can't you guys just answer my original question?

Oh, what's that? I didn't have a question? Nevermind! :roll:

edbr
11-19-2009, 12:43 AM
You're too late. Ed drank the bar dry weeks ago ;) (sorry Ed, couldn't resist)
so not true . he quit because of profesional pride , I was drinking them faster than he could pour them.
BTW Toby another villa opening tonight, let the party begin!

domedia
11-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Weren't we all going to do a DWC Bali excursion?
I wouldn't mind that right now.. winter is about to kick in.

edbr
11-19-2009, 01:23 AM
not here its hotter tha Hades

Corrosive
11-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Is it hot enough to melt a Norwegian?

edbr
11-19-2009, 07:31 AM
this might

domedia
11-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Awww.. that is cute!