PDA

View Full Version : Cs4

marcia
11-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi,

I'm considering purchasing the CS4 Premium Suite for the Mac.

I have been using DW8, flash8, PS CS2 and IE 2. If I install the CS4 suite, could I still use the older versions or will they be inaccessible now?

I have so many training videos and books re my old programs and I hate to give up all that and start over. I had hoped I could ease into the new versions, while using the old.

Thanks for any advise,

Marcia

DWcourse
11-15-2009, 03:32 AM
If you upgrade, my understanding is that installing the new version will deactivate the old version but I may well be wrong on that.

Here's a brief article outlining the changes from Dreamaweaver 8 to CS4: http://dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/upgrading-dreamweaver8-cs.php

Basically I wouldn't think about a gradual transition (at least in Dreamweaver). DW CS4 is much more CSS oriented and the odds are, if you've been using DW8, you'll need to make some significant changes to the way you do things. But I think you'll find it's worthwhile to invest the effort.

My experience with Illustrator and Photoshop is that the leap from CS2 to CS4 is more evolutionary and you will probably be comfortable in the new versions although there are a number of features that make the upgrade worthwhile (particularly in Photoshop).

In any case, I'd plan on investing some time learning the new features. Any time you spend money, you should plan to spend some time as well in order to make your purchase worthwhile.

rattlsnak
11-16-2009, 03:57 AM
If you upgrade, my understanding is that installing the new version will deactivate the old version but I may well be wrong on that.

Basically I wouldn't think about a gradual transition (at least in Dreamweaver). DW CS4 is much more CSS oriented and the odds are, if you've been using DW8, you'll need to make some significant changes to the way you do things.

I upgraded from DW8 to CS4 also, and DW8 still worked until I finally deleted it.

and VERY true on making significant changes. it is very different. sometimes i selfishly wish i wouldnt have upgraded as it takes me 20 minutes to do something i could do in 1 minute with DW 8, but i know that using CS4 is forcing me to learn more CSS and be web compliant in the future.