PDA

View Full Version : Placing an illustrator logo

tadpolepatrol
11-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to import an illustrator logo into an AP Div. I have saved the logo as a .gif with a transparent background at 72dpi. When the logo
is placed it looks bitmapped (jagged edges). How can I get a true representation of the log with smooth edges?
Realise this is basic stuff but couldn't find answer in faq's.

Best

gentleone
11-12-2009, 07:20 PM
In the save for web & devices window of Illustrator there is an option 'matte'. Set this one to 'none' or to the color of your background. Look which works the best for your logo on the page.

DWcourse
11-13-2009, 03:04 AM
does the background need to be transparent? Can't it just be the color of the page you're placing it on?

tadpolepatrol
11-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for your responce and advice I was hoping to keep the background of the logo transparent, just so I may change the background colour if needed. However the real problem is the bitmapping around the edge of the logo, I checked the Matte box but this didn't seem to help. I the save the file as a PNG which has given me a much truer representation of the ill logo.... next question.... is a PNG file OK to have on the site or i it a no, no?
Thanks again!

gentleone
11-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Transparent PNG's is indeed much sharper and crispy then transparent GIF's. The only issue (besides the more Kbs then GIF) is that Internet Explore 6 can't render transparency and so your PNG will have a grey background (yuk).

Anyways there're lots of fixes for this just google for PNG fix IE6.

tadpolepatrol
11-13-2009, 06:27 PM
superb, thanks again gentleone!

d a v e
11-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Transparent PNG's is indeed much sharper and crispy then transparent GIF's. The only issue (besides the more Kbs then GIF) is that Internet Explore 6 can't render transparency and so your PNG will have a grey background (yuk).

Anyways there're lots of fixes for this just google for PNG fix IE6.

that depends on whether the palette of gif can contain all the colours contained within the image. IF it can then a 24-bit png would be no sharper or crisper (and would be larger filesize) than a gif or 8-bit png. a link to the logo/site would help to see what it's like and what colour(s) the background is ;)

gentleone
11-13-2009, 08:39 PM
that depends on whether the palette of gif can contain all the colours contained within the image. IF it can then a 24-bit png would be no sharper or crisper (and would be larger filesize) than a gif or 8-bit png. a link to the logo/site would help to see what it's like and what colour(s) the background is ;)

Ooohkay :( That's some info that I'm not aware of. Sorry for the bad info and thanks for correcting me.

DWcourse
11-13-2009, 09:06 PM
The problem with transparent gifs is that you have to know the background color they will be displayed against and set the matte color to match it. If the background color changes you need to redo the gif with a new matte color.

PNGs offer true alpha-channel transparency (in other words you can have degrees of transparency). The only real problem with PNGs other than the IE6 problem already mentioned is that the file sizes can get pretty large in some cases.

d a v e
11-13-2009, 09:54 PM
that's wbhy it would be easier to give more specific advice with an example page and logo to see, though i don't really see changing a background colour as so hard to do :)

incidentally - if you have adobe fireworks you can save an 8-bit png (that's right, 8-bit - not just 24-bit) with alpha transparency.
see http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=E4024 and you can also do it in other editors - http://www.ethanandjamie.com/blog/37-user-interface/81-png8-transparency-without-fireworks

for something like a logo png-8 sounds ideal ;)

DWcourse
11-13-2009, 10:29 PM
And, if you have Dreamweaver CS4 you can place a Photoshop image in your page as a Photoshop smart object and one of the options is PNG-8 with transparency.

d a v e
11-14-2009, 05:43 AM
And, if you have Dreamweaver CS4 you can place a Photoshop image in your page as a Photoshop smart object and one of the options is PNG-8 with transparency.

full alpha??

DWcourse
11-14-2009, 02:12 PM
full alpha??

Yes. If you place a Photoshop Smart Object into Dreamweaver you get a dialog similar to the Save for Web and Devices dialog in Photoshop but with additional options. You can scale, crop and choose the file type. PNG-8 with alpha transparency is one of the options. The file is then converted and saved to your site but also linked to the original Photoshop file. If the original photoshop file is edited, DW offers you the chance to update the placed image. And, in DW, you can always resample and even change the file type of the linked image.

d a v e
11-14-2009, 04:18 PM
cool !