PDA

View Full Version : Search Facility

Jules1777
11-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi

I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to include a Search facility on my site, and how easy it is?

Regards
Julie

Corrosive
11-12-2009, 11:17 AM
If you are happy to go with a pre-built solution the try something like Google Search...

http://www.google.com/cse/

Drawbacks are that it is a solution for non-profit sites and also you need to wait for your pages to be indexed by Google.

If you want to build one yourself then you can use PHP but I'd say that your site content needs to be database driven.

domedia
11-12-2009, 03:22 PM
When was search only for non-profits? They even let you integrate search with Adsense.

Corrosive
11-12-2009, 03:53 PM
You're right, my mistake. It is free if you agree to display Google ads on your search results. You can get 'clean' pages if you are non-profit making. I think that is where my confusion was.

domedia
11-12-2009, 04:29 PM
You can get 'clean' pages if you are non-profit making. I think that is where my confusion was.
Where did you read this? Off hand I know of several for profit organizations running google search.

Corrosive
11-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Custom Search Editions
We offer two editions of Custom Search:

Standard edition gives you a tailored search experience using Google technology. You can also customize the look of your search engine and integrate into your site using an iframe. You must show ads alongside the search results, unless you are creating your search engine for a nonprofit organization, university, or government agency, in which case you can disable ads. You can make money from these ads with the AdSense For Search program.

Business edition starts at $100 per year and comes with additional options. You get guaranteed support and greater results customization options via an XML API. Ads are not shown next to search results.

domedia
11-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I searched for that phrase, no luck. Do you have a link Toby?

Corrosive
11-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Yes, sorry mate. http://www.google.com/cse/manage/create Click on 'learn more' next to select an edition.

domedia
11-12-2009, 05:43 PM
u-uh... We use their API, so I've never seen this page before..

Corrosive
11-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I just noticed it when I signed up for my site a while back.