PDA

View Full Version : Another Shopping Cart Question

Foskco
11-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Ok heres the issue, I know absolutely nothing about making a shopping cart in dreamweaver. I have looked at the tutorials and what not and free shopping carts which are fine and dandy only issue is I need something with drop down menu's which will add additional charges Here is a perfect example

I would prefer a free way of going about this.

Thanks guy's. :mrgreen:

edbr
11-10-2009, 12:25 AM
that example you gave is not a shopping cart so i deleted it, it is a simple form with upload . if you want help with a shopping cart please be more specific of what you want.

Foskco
11-10-2009, 03:25 AM
that example you gave is not a shopping cart so i deleted it, it is a simple form with upload . if you want help with a shopping cart please be more specific of what you want.

Sorry I'm a graphic designer not a webmaster this is over my head indeed so I will be as specific as I can to achieve what I am looking for.

I would first off like a "simple form" that works just like the one that I posted, which calculates the expenses and so on after which Gives people the option to upload artwork, adds expenses to the shopping cart, checks out, then sends email to me with information.

Pretty much exactly like the site I posted considering I'm one of there re-sellers and wanting to make a website. I hope that was enough details :/ If you need anymore I will be more then willing to specify. Should I not post the website url:confused:

edbr
11-10-2009, 03:35 AM
im afraid theres no simple way to do all you ask. you will probably need to make your own or take a cart and edit it. eitherway you will need programing knowledge. i am pretty sure using dw built in wizards will be a strech.
i deleted your limk as it was not showimg a shopping cart and we are cautious of first time posters postingf links.
making a form is no big problem. on your page insert a form, into the form you will need to add text fields or lists as in your example, the in properties add your list values after clicking the button.
you will need to add a submit button and asign an action which is where the handling script for the form will be eg: script.php

Foskco
11-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Would this be more possible possibly through flash?

domedia
11-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Can't really be more possible than it already is..
If you don't want to do it with HTML/JS, you'd still have to do it with Flash/Actionscript. Depends on what you're more comfortable working with.

What is form to do with the info and files uploaded?

Foskco
11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
http://www.printplace.com/printing/business-card-printing.aspx

This is a perfect example of exactly what I'm looking for. The forms when chosen have different price variables that add to the total cost. Sorry if I am still not applicable to post links :( I have no other idea of how to explain myself :/

domedia
11-11-2009, 06:53 PM
It's important to distinguish between a shopping cart, and an order form.
A shopping cart will hold items for you while you shop, you can then check out.
An order form is just one form.

I guess you have some architecture work ahead of you. You need to describe the functions of what you're making, a schema or anything really. Non of this is really the job of a graphic designer. Do you have anyone else you can rely on for this project?

Foskco
11-11-2009, 11:41 PM
It's important to distinguish between a shopping cart, and an order form.
A shopping cart will hold items for you while you shop, you can then check out.
An order form is just one form.

I guess you have some architecture work ahead of you. You need to describe the functions of what you're making, a schema or anything really. Non of this is really the job of a graphic designer. Do you have anyone else you can rely on for this project?

I am a re-seller for this company and am making a website to mimic it.

I don't exactly have anyone that I can depend on :/ you think I would considering I'm a graphic designer but only issue is I'm young and I question my friends abilities to do such a task all my employes are graphic designers too :(. I would be willing to pay someone depending on the cost. I guess pretty much what I am asking for is getting a form like the one in that link to mesh with my shopping cart so the form calculates it then click the add to cart button and then check out. I get the feeling I need to start on the form first before I move onto the shopping cart. I realize now that shopping cart and the form are two separate operations in this instance.

Here is a step by step process of exactly what I want.

1: Customer chooses different available options with the drop down menu's for a single product. (For example business cards, They will choose the amount they want, then if they want color on both sides, kind of paper, size, etc) with all of this I want the total $ amount to change as they click on their desired settings for their product.

2: Customer clicks add to cart, it then ask's for shipping information address credit card etc.

3: customer is then sent to a screen were they can upload there art work which sends to my art email for approval and I can take it from there.

Sorry for so much shit I'm saying :( Thank you so much for your guys help though.

domedia
11-12-2009, 03:41 AM
There's a slew of other things you have to take into consideration. The front end code might just be 10% of the work here. Consider security, encryption (ssl), adding all this into a database for retrieval. Also consider you need a payment processor to handle transfer of payment between you bank and the customers bank and some kind of interface for the backend for you to administer your orders. My advice is that you sit down with someone that has some experience with ecommerce, ssl and web development so you can a list of requirements for this. That will help you see if you can do this yourself, or if you need to have someone else do this.

Anyone else want to chime in with some advice?

edbr
11-12-2009, 03:51 AM
i think you covered it but personally i dont think looking at shopping cat is the way to go. the calculations could be done with some php, but having returned the calculation accepting an order and issuing invoice may be better with some manual process. ( IMO)
as regards payment all the security issues are valid but a short cut might be paypal.

of course this could be automated but would require a fairly substantial amount of work to produce it, so no free option as asked in OP.

Foskco
11-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Nice, I am willing to pay someone to do it, any of you know a rough ball park estimate of what you guys would charge if assigned the task?

domedia
11-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Charge for doing what? :)
I hate to repeat myself (cause I sound like a *** when I do), but I think your main issue right now is that you're not completely sure on what you need. I don't see any reason, from what you've said, to use a shopping cart here. See all the open questions I talked about earlier. This is where I think it would benefit you to just sit down with someone and spec this application.

Corrosive
11-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Charge for doing what? :)
I hate to repeat myself (cause I sound like a *** when I do), but I think your main issue right now is that you're not completely sure on what you need. I don't see any reason, from what you've said, to use a shopping cart here. See all the open questions I talked about earlier. This is where I think it would benefit you to just sit down with someone and spec this application.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Foskco
11-13-2009, 12:03 AM
I want pin point exact to that link I posted http://www.printplace.com/printing/business-card-printing.aspx.

That exact menu exact process. I'm a reseller for them that's why I ask for the exact same system. Exact replica of what they have, customer chooses their preferences for their product, add's to cart, inputs shipping information, gives them total with tax, they are advised to upload artwork, they choose to continue shopping or put in their credit card information, I receive, I send to press, then ship out their product...

Don't I need a shopping cart if they want to order multiple items?

EDIT: Okay I just realized how easy it is to make a form calculate totals and what not. Should I make this for all my products then worry about the shopping cart? I don't want to make all these forms then have it not be able to be connected with payment/shoppingcart/whatever. :(

Corrosive
11-13-2009, 06:28 AM
It's not just about what you want your form to do. What do you need from your back end? What info do you want to be able to collect into your database to run your business? How flexible does it need to be? How will you add and remove products/options? What is the customer journey going to look like? What payment gateway will you be using? How will you ensure security?

A web developer will help you to spec this out but I think you should go and find a reliable one and sit down with them to get it done.

edbr
11-13-2009, 07:12 AM
shopping cart tutorial here
http://www.phpwebcommerce.com/

Foskco
11-13-2009, 04:54 PM
I contacted a couple webmasters yesterday so hoping for some reply's back. :mrgreen: Thanks for your help guys!