PDA

View Full Version : Client wont give me FTP info

walkamongus
11-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I've been asked to redesign a header for a company's site. Im planning on using some css or jquery for revolving images. The thing is, my client doesnt want to give me the FTP info. Is this common? Seems like if they want me to work on the site, they should allow me to access it

:confused:

Corrosive
11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
How the hell do they expect you to work on something you don't have access to? That sounds very strange dude.

walkamongus
11-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Tell me about it! I thought maybe I could ninja my way around it, but it seems like a pain. I just gave them my best explanation for needing it, hopefully theyll see the light.

edbr
11-10-2009, 01:30 AM
they want a site working locally so they vcan upload it themselves?
did you ask if they would create a temporary ftp account for you?

DWcourse
11-10-2009, 02:45 AM
Can't you just build it on a local site and give them instructions for inserting the header and uploading the CSS and JS.

It's not how I like to work but I've don't it before.

domedia
11-10-2009, 02:53 PM
We do all out websites without access to clients web server.
Development is to be done locally anyways, so you (or client) don't really need to do anything with the web server until it's ready to go live.

walkamongus
11-10-2009, 04:14 PM
"did you ask if they would create a temporary ftp account for you?"
Didnt think to ask this.

"Can't you just build it on a local site and give them instructions for inserting the header and uploading the CSS and JS.

It's not how I like to work but I've don't it before."
Yeah, this is my plan if they dont give me access. I feel the same way about it, but I told them I would do it that way if they want.

"We do all out websites without access to clients web server.
Development is to be done locally anyways, so you (or client) don't really need to do anything with the web server until it's ready to go live."
Thats interesting. What Im wondering about is how do you go about getting a clients site? I mean, if youre asked to alter something, not create an entire site, do you view page source, ask them to send you the files, or something else?

domedia
11-10-2009, 05:17 PM
[I]Thats interesting. What Im wondering about is how do you go about getting a clients site? I mean, if youre asked to alter something, not create an entire site, do you view page source, ask them to send you the files, or something else?
Eiher we already host them, or they give us all the files if we don't already host them.

walkamongus
11-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks domedia. I'll have to reconsider how I go about it.