PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver CS4 display of page structure CSS?

cdaniel
11-05-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm considering getting the latest version. I've been web designing for 12 years and I still have very old DW v4 (not CS4). I see such a big move toward handling page structure with CSS and elimination of table usage.

My question is, does the current version of DW display a page as structured by CSS? In my DW4, if I open one of these types of pages, a lot of the structure CSS is just ignored and the page is very unformatted.

Also, since I work with artists, I do a lot of thumbnail images with enlargements. Are there a lot of options for saving time in displaying these? I did try to install one lightbox from Exchange and it would not install in my version of DW.

d a v e
11-05-2009, 03:29 PM
why not download the latest trial from adobe.com?

cdaniel
11-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks. Didn't know I could do that. Will check it out.

cdaniel
11-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Oh, one concern. As long as I install into a separate directory, I hope it won't mess up my ability to use my current version. Do you know for sure?

d a v e
11-05-2009, 07:29 PM
i'm not sure but i think it should be ok. save your site definitions and any other bits just in case. i've installed trials and then gone back to my old version fine.

cdaniel
11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Ok, thanks. You know, I've never figured out where the site defs are. Would that be the .dws and .txt files in site cache folder?

d a v e
11-06-2009, 04:11 AM
if i remember rightly it's in the site panel's drop down menu and you have to export each site separately . check F1 button for hep otherwise and 'site definitions' you should end up with an .ste file for each site

DWcourse
11-06-2009, 04:49 AM
CS4 handles CSS pretty well in Design View and has a Live View feature that previews CSS and Javascript as if it were in a browser. It's a big leap from DW4 (or even DW8) but definitely worth it. I'd just expect a big learning curve for that big a leap.

cdaniel
11-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Well, to be honest, I've never learned and used all the features in DW4. As long as I can zero in on the things I use most and then add to my knowledge over time, I'll be happy - and I think I'd keep DW4 on my machine for a backup in case I got frustrated. Many thanks.