PDA

View Full Version : Flash Navigation Buttons Not Working

pianogirl
11-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I use flash for navigation buttons on the side of my page. I have tried to edit some of the buttons, and now they don't work correctly. When I click on the button, it shows the correct page, but without the "sidebar" navigation buttons. And my "home" page doesn't work at all. How do I troubleshoot this issue?

DWcourse
11-01-2009, 08:28 PM
The simplest and best answer is to get rid of the flash buttons.

pianogirl
11-01-2009, 09:03 PM
If I could do that easily, I would. However, I'm not familiar enough with flash to do that. In fact, that's how this problem was created. I pulled my website into Dreamweaver - it was created in FrontPage by someone else. When I tried to modify the buttons, they became disfunctional. I've compared the code to the functioning buttons, and cannot figure out where the problem lies. I would like to add another page or two to my site, but cannot until I figure out what I'm doing wrong with the navigation buttons.

Help!

DWcourse
11-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I would assume the Flash buttons would need to be edited in Flash.

edbr
11-02-2009, 11:50 AM
how did you edit them?

thedon
11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Could it be possible you have not put the new flash buttons in your server directory?
Because I did something simular to that, I Change my bottons to flash and forgot to take the flash button files from my computer to the server.

pianogirl
11-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your tips. I will have to investigate more tonight. I am so new to Flash - and since I didn't create this layout - it's all confusing to me. I'm struggling even with articulating what my problem and questions are!! I'm using Dreamweaver Version 8.0.2 - does that tell anyone anything about my problem?

thedon
11-04-2009, 03:41 PM
When you pulled your website from frontpage to dreamweaver, was your bottons pointing to the right file? And when you saved, did you drag your page AND new flash buttons over to the server?

pianogirl
11-06-2009, 04:27 AM
I mistakenly though I had a Flash editor in the Dreamweaver program. Now that I know I don't, I'll go the "include" route. I was just hoping to get the sidelinks to work while I start recreating the site from scratch. Kudos to those of you out there who create and manipulate websites every day with ease!!

DWcourse
11-06-2009, 04:46 AM
With ease? ROFL, Microsoft makes sure that doesn't happen!

pianogirl
11-11-2009, 06:38 PM
How do I find a Dreamweaver expert in my area? I want to just take my computer to someone who can see what the problem is and help me fix it so I can move on!! I don't know if this forum is the right place for this kind of info.

domedia
11-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Craigslist might be an option if you city is large enough.
From frontpage to dreamweaver .. this sounds scary..

pianogirl
11-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Okay, here are some more questions. First of all, here is the URL for the site I'm working on so you can see my dilemma:
http://www.fertilesoilsolutions.com

I discovered this morning that apparently I CAN insert flash buttons in Dreamweaver 8, so I reinserted my buttons.

I have a page called navigation.html that only depicts the flash navigation buttons overlaying a background image. This 'page' is supposed to be linked to each page, but I can't see how it's done. I only have 5 pages: home, profile, services, expertise, publications (which is actually the same as expertise until I figure this out and can separate the bottom half of 'expertise' which is actually 'publications' into a separate page ;-}), and contact us.

When I open the index page in Dreamweaver, the tab reads 'navigation' (not home or index) and the image shows the flash button navigation 'panel/table' alongside the home page.

When I open the 'navigation' page, its tab also read 'navigation,' which confuses me.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do so that the side panel with navigation flash buttons is always on the webpage? As is it now, only the bottom 3 links take you to the page that views properly, and not even all the time - depending on which page you're one. When you click on 'profile' and 'services' you see the correct page but only in the location where the navigation panel should be - with the home page still in its prominent position. Then you have to use your browser back buttons to get back to the main page. The 'home' button doesn't work at all.

So, as I said, I have re-created the buttons (rather than editing the existing ones), but haven't uploaded because the last time I thought I fixed something, I created this malfunction I'm dealing with! It's possible that this flash function isn't even related to my navigation problem.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer!!

gentleone
11-11-2009, 10:04 PM
I did have a look at your code, but I can't see for now why the links not loading correctly. I'm not familiar with framesets, but do know how it works with iframes. So I was looking for scr="something" and the links that would target the content in that "something", but I don't think that it work wirth framesets like that.

However, why using the flash button animation in the first place? The same effect can be easily done with CSS and would be 95% less code then what you have now for the flash menu.

pianogirl
11-12-2009, 01:12 AM
I would love to use CSS to create navigation buttons - I'm just not well-versed enough to do it! I get frustrated when I read the book or tutorials. Guess I'm just not patient enough! :x

gentleone
11-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Here is a CSS menu with the same rollover effect like your flash menu.

http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/vertical08.htm

pianogirl
11-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks - I'll give it a try.