PDA

View Full Version : Crits & Positioning Help Please

Blue_Vision
10-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Ok, first off I thought you guys might be willing to take a peek at my CSS page and poke fun, make crits, etc. I know that maybe a couple things are named bad and there may be a div that should be a p or two but otherwise will you please tear me down : )

These pages have not been testing on anything but the mac and safari at this point. Once I get a little further I'll get my pc back and do a compatibility test so I hope its not too crazy for you all...

I will still make text and positioning adjustments once I get the thing programmed for the most part and these pages I went through the pain and suffering of dissecting and rewording to be test pages...LOL. IOW, mine aren't this ugly.

http://bluevisionweb.com/test1.html

http://bluevisionweb.com/test2.html

My biggest issue at the moment is that I was starting to make a horizontal nav menu for a footer link trail but I noticed that once I put in the first link on there it wasn't centered with the rest of the page. I can't figure out how to center it. I've tried everything I can think of but it has to go a tiny bit more left to center.

Also I just noticed that for some reason these two pages nav menu's and address bars aren't lining up when you switch pages even though they are using the same CSS? Must me a problem in the html I guess but I can't put my finger on it ATM.

Thanks for help with any of the above : )

Blue_Vision
11-06-2009, 02:27 AM
ok, so I totally changed around some things and realized I made some stupid mistakes. At least I hope they were stupid and my changes are smart or else I'm in for it...LOL.

Will you guys give this a read for me? See if there is any major CSS mistakes that are 101's. Is there padding properties or anything I should have setup different for other browsers etc?

http://bluevisionweb.com/test1.html

I took down the other page cause I haven't changed around the html yet on it.

I got everything fixed with the centering issues. It was so obvious but I was starring to hard at it.

I tested on xp with FF and explorer 7. Then on the mac with FF and Safari. The site worked fine but my font looked like crap. The mac seems to render fonts way, WAY nicer. Are there any better recommendations for a font that might look similar but be more cross platform then Palatino Linotype?

Thanks! I'm just hoping to get some crits before I continue on screwing it up worse if I'm on a bad track...LOL.

Corrosive
11-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Most of what you have done looks fine to me. The only consideration is using Palatino Linotype at all. You should really stick to fonts that you know are on 99% of computers. I do have Palatino Linotype on mine so not an issue but I have a LOT of fonts.

gentleone
11-06-2009, 03:05 PM
On the 3rd row in your stylesheet I see:
<style type="text/css">

A tiny thing, but that shouldn't be there. Probably a copy/paste error from the the styles in your page to the stylesheet.

Blue_Vision
11-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Corrosive, it was listed as a browser safe font on the web charts so that's why I thought it would be ok to go with it. It looks so bad on xp though I was gonna swap it out. Although, all fonts but maybe verdana seem to look bad on xp? Thin and jaggety. Are there any font suggestions? Do they look this bad on Vista and 7 as well?

Thanks for giving it the look over. I greatly appreciate it!

gentleone, you must be right. I didn't even see that so thanks for pointing it out : )

Corrosive
11-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Maybe it is web safe. Not one that springs immediately to mind though. I'm afraid there is not much you can do about the quality of text on a PC other than upgrade your OS. I have one PC on SP2 and one on SP3 and the quality of text is really different.

Blue_Vision
11-06-2009, 09:09 PM
yeah, the text looks fantastic for me but thats because I have OS X and Safari but I need to design it so that things look visually pleasing and legible for all our visitors. Its a pretty high traffic site and unfortunatly most people are still using xp and IE 6 and 7 : (

edbr
11-07-2009, 12:50 AM
what about a using a browser detect and swapping font based on that?
i have done that for ie6. as for xp it will be around for a long time i feel after the vista problems.