PDA

View Full Version : can you make a page background an editable region?

charlieapple
10-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Hi - I always build my sites using templates so am familiar but not an advanced user. Now using CS4 and you have to use CSS to put an image into a table cell background - so far so good, I found out how to do that. My question is on the editable regions. Normally my sites have the same page background throughout, so on the template I simply use "page properties" to select the background image and it's fine. On the site I'm building at the moment, she wants different page background for a particular section of the site, though all other elements would remain the same (except for the banner image but that's easy to do). I figured I could create all the pages with the main template, then on the page for the other one I could detach from template, change the page background image and banner image and then save as template and use this separate template for the other section. This is feasible but would mean any changes that apply to all pages would have to be done twice. So I was wondering if it is possible to make the "page background" an editable region? I was thinking about going into code view and just adding the "insert editable region" opening and closing tags around the page background tag in the template and seeing if that works, but wonder if there was a cleaner way to do this.

When I did it on the table cell, I went through the tag inspector and edited there.

Many thanks - your help appreciated.:confused:

edbr
10-29-2009, 02:23 AM
you coulsd use a different template for that section i would suggest. if you make it an editable region you will have to do it in every page.

Corrosive
10-29-2009, 07:49 AM
The cleaner way of doing this is to use CSS and drop the tables. There is a reason that CS4 makes life with tables difficult ;)

Add the required bg image to a CSS class (so you have two classes) and then apply the required style to the body tag.

If you don't understand this then you really shouldn't be building websites for other people IMO.

domedia
10-29-2009, 04:20 PM
I agree. Make a CSS class or ID for each background and apply to the appropriate pages. Time to get going on some CSS! 8)