PDA

View Full Version : SWF's appear twice after update to ie8

nadger
10-25-2009, 06:16 PM
I recently updated my browser from IE6 to IE8 and have noticed that all the swf's games i put on our site appear twice now.

heres the link (http://www.nhgfc.co.uk/15%20squares.html) to see what i mean,

its happened on all the games pages i've done. However when i open the html's in Dreamweaver there is only one on show as it should be.

Am i losing my marbles here guys?

regards
Neil

domedia
10-26-2009, 04:22 AM
It's twice in every browser.
First you have JavaScript write out all the code for you, and then you repeat it with normal code. Use a regular browser for previewing your website, not DW's design view.

nadger
10-26-2009, 07:23 AM
hi Domedia,

thanks for your reply. I have deleted one from each page and it seems to be working now.

Please could you explain to me what i did wrong. Im very new to all this and am learning as i go along.

When i first set up the games pages i opened my html file in DW and used Insert>media>flash then i selected the swf file for the game. They have been working fine on the site for the last 10 months or so and i've never seen this doubling up before?
Although i have just deleted one from each page which does get them working again, i cannot see the swf in the DW editting window. my question is.. how should i set these up from scratch for future reference?

Finally one last question if you dont mind: The noughts & Crosses game will not display when the page is loaded to my site no matter what i try. This particular game stopped displaying several months ago and i cannot figure out why. It does show in DW editting window and also when i click to Preview/debug in browser, but never in our actual site?

cheers
Neil

Corrosive
10-26-2009, 07:30 AM
I recently updated my browser from IE6 to IE8

Guys, this must be the last person out...can we switch off the lights on IE6 now please??

(sorry Nadger, this is a joke...but what the hell took you so long dude?)

nadger
10-26-2009, 07:34 AM
LOL,

when i said im new to all this i really wasnt joking!!

Im only learning how to do a website as we dont have the money to pay for one, or someone else within the club with the knowledge to do it.

So be prepared to read posts from me that, at times someone like you may sit and think... is he having a laugh!!

Corrosive
10-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I can't seem to replicate the issue you are having in IE8 or Chrome. Very strange. All looks good to me. Also, good effort with the site so far. I love the spinning club crest...very 'Super Sunday' :)

nadger
10-26-2009, 04:47 PM
the only issue i have now is the noughts and crosses game wont display itself.

all other issues resolved, but i would like to to understand why it doubled up in the first place if anyone can enlighten me?

Thanks, i know the site is a little "busy" for some people, but its aimed at girls aged 5 upwards for the most part.

Neil

Corrosive
10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
I think it has to be busy and interesting to attract kids. Good work that man. Particularly looking forward to this fixture...

NHGFC v Arsenal

I reckon we'll still throw away a two goal lead (grrrrr)

nadger
10-26-2009, 05:26 PM
My girls would stuff the gunners...!

those fixtures are one of my "google traps" ha ha ha

Corrosive
10-26-2009, 05:32 PM
My girls would stuff the gunners...!

Sadly, you are probably right :(

domedia
10-27-2009, 12:03 AM
tall other issues resolved, but i would like to to understand why it doubled up in the first place if anyone can enlighten me? You first had JavaScript write the code out, then you repeated the same code yourself with HTML. So the browser did exactly what it was supposed to..

nadger
10-27-2009, 06:52 AM
domedia:

Please could you explain a little more,

"you first had javascript write the code out"

"then you repeated the same code yourself with html"

All i did was to buy the games, then inserted the game swf into my page. Im not following you sorry mate?

Neil

domedia
10-27-2009, 02:34 PM
JavaScript can write HTML to a page. This is where the first instance of the game came from.
You can also write regular HTML, this is where the second instance of the game came from.
I'm really at loss on how to explain it differently, Anyone else?
Your main problem I think is lack of knowledge of the web languages.

nadger
10-27-2009, 05:15 PM
hmmm....

ok i think i've gor it now: Your saying im a numpty!! LOL

I understand what your saying about the html coming from two separate sources, what i dont understand is how? i inserted the swf into my page as per the instructions. I havn't done anything else.

This where im stumped, your saying the code has been inserted twice basically. My question is how?

How should i insert these swf's into my page if the way i've done it is incorrrect and causes a doubleing up?

Neil

ps. for the record you 100% right about my knowledge, or rather lack of it. :)

domedia
10-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I understand what your saying about the html coming from two separate sources, what i dont understand is how?
You did it :)
i inserted the swf into my page as per the instructions. Then either the instructions were wrong, or you didn't do it according to the instructions, or you changed it afterwards.
How should i insert these swf's into my page if the way i've done it is incorrrect and causes a doubleing up? I think there is a Insert->Flash in the menu. I think there might be some threads in the flash forum as well on how to best include flash on your web pages.