PDA

View Full Version : One time pop up upon page load

nadger
10-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi,

im searching for a tutorial to help me with this:

I run the website for a junior girls football club, we've just changed our training days and times and i want to add a one time pop up to explain to the players about the changes. I cannot see a way in dreamweaver to introduce a pop up that appears when they first visit the site.

Please does anyone know of a simple way to do this?

edbr
10-23-2009, 01:02 AM
simple ? well you would have to use cookies to determine if it had been visited then use a condition to decide whether to display or not

nadger
10-23-2009, 06:23 AM
sorry i havn't explained this properly.

I dont mean that it only appears once per person (a need for cookies) i mean that it only appears once each time the index page is loaded.

I dont mind it being "slightly annoying" for viewers by appearing each time they load the index page. I just cant work out how to set this up.

I did try highlighting a section of the text on the index page and have it set up as "mouse over" to bring up the pop up message, But as you can imagine it just reappears each time you close it down.

If its possible to get working once each time the index page is loaded i will just leave it working for a couple of weeks and then delete it once im sure everyone has got the message.

thanks
Neil

edbr
10-23-2009, 06:50 AM
ok i got it now. it needs to be body onload then
this will work to open a pop up
in the <head>
<script language="javascript">

function popup(){
var newWin = window.open("welcome.html","welcome","height=300,width=300, top=300px, left=300px");

}
</script>
then where you have <body replace with
<body onLoad="popup()">

you need to make a page 'welcome.html' with what you need to dispay making sure the contents are withinn the siaze of the pop up window

nadger
10-23-2009, 01:54 PM
thank you so much edbr.

Im very new to all this and without your help would not have got this working.

here (http://www.nhgfc.co.uk/index.html) is the finished item

thanks again
Neil