PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Banner out of the Box

Chapo
10-18-2009, 06:19 PM
I like a Head Banner i saw in this site of CNN, the guy gets out a little of the banner and looks great. I want to know how to build one like that. I believe this one was made within a table and it cells.

1. Why they used a table and divided the image ?
2. How can i get the image to align perfectly in the table between cells and look well in the browser without any gaps?
3. Does the use of a table will affect in how it looks in others browsers and break the image apart because of gaps?
4. Why they used a table instead of DIV's to achieve this ?

here is the site:

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/10/13/28-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-i-started-traveling/

domedia
10-18-2009, 06:53 PM
1. Why they used a table and divided the image ? You'd have to ask them about that. It's not right
2. How can i get the image to align perfectly in the table between cells and look well in the browser without any gaps?
Just like they did. Look at the source and see how they used tables and CSS to ensure of this. The easy option would be to use web standards, which makes this task much easier.
3. Does the use of a table will affect in how it looks in others browsers and break the image apart because of gaps? Possibly. It depends on how you code it.
4. Why they used a table instead of DIV's to achieve this ?You have to ask them. It's not right.

Chapo
10-18-2009, 07:13 PM
So its not right to use tables for this, it should be DIV's ?
The web standards for this will be what exactly ? sorry for my dumbness

domedia
10-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Tables usually only for tabular data, like spreadsheets.
Web Standards is a term used for general standards for web development.

Corrosive
10-20-2009, 08:06 AM
I'd use divs. One large background image div and then two smaller divs inside for the navigation. This is a 'how do I slice images in photoshop' question rather than how to re-construct it in HTML in my mind.