PDA

View Full Version : Is This Possible?!

djshongo
10-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi,

I created a website for a friend who has no knowledge of coding etc..

I update this site for him on a regular basis, however I would like to give him access to updating it also, even just the main page.

How do I do this, I was looking a Content Management Systems...

Any ideas?!

Thanks!

edbr
10-12-2009, 10:35 AM
yahoogle there are many online big ones are joomla, mambo drupal

djshongo
10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Yea i created an account with Joomla, but wasnt sure if it was possible to incorporate it into my existing website, I use a template, and the main (centre) content changes on every page.

Looks like the whole site has to be moved over to Joomla and scared this will interfere with my design..

edbr
10-12-2009, 11:23 AM
it can be tricky to sign with joomla and will take fair bit of work try searching some php script repositories hotscript, chipmonk etc you may find a solution that helps you more

djshongo
10-12-2009, 01:20 PM
been looking into this and turns out you cant directly incorporate and of these CMSs (Joomla, Drupal) into an existing site..

It would have to be more or less rebuilt to suit their structure, which isnt what i'd like to do :(

Cant seem to find any scripts either that enable this 'client-editing' function..

edbr
10-13-2009, 01:34 AM
then you will have to look at using something like contribute from adobe though have no idea if this will help you with file uploads , an alternative especially if just the main page, might be to make the text as includes from text files which he could change then upload them via ftp perhaps

DWcourse
10-13-2009, 02:46 AM
Contribute should work and you might want to look into InContext editing (new in CS4) from Adobe as well.

Or have them get a copy of Dreamweaver and tell them to keep away from everything but the area you want him to update (or lock the rest down in a template).

edbr
10-13-2009, 03:07 AM
or if limited as you say look at editors such as html-kit, selida , netbeans (?)or another free editor rather than but dreamweaver which will has far more than they would need

djshongo
10-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi guys,

Update* I signed up for a Cushy CMS Account, Its very minimal, and only allows simple text or image editing by ONE assigned user, which suits me fine!

All you gotta do is assignn the class name of cushycms to each of your editable elements in the HTML page.

Can I assign TWO different classes to the one thing?! Cause im pretty sure my text and images on the page already have classes assigned..

Thanks!