PDA

View Full Version : Message Pop Up? May be - Don't Know.

uktv
10-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Hello Everyone

I’m new to the forum, I have been using Dreamweaver for about two years to make my own websites, they are quite basic.

I have been looking for a Tutorial on “Popup Menus” however after spending 3 hours searching the web, I don’t think that what I want is a Pop Up Menu.

I want to have a message Pop Up or load automatically once the Home Page has loaded. In a box in the centre of the home page.

Does anyone out there know what this function is called, can I get an extension, I think it is called, or could someone send me a link to a Tutorial on how to do this.

I have managed to get the message to Pop Up via a clickable image, but that requires the user to ‘Click’ I want to get it to do it automatically.

I have read the Before you Post, information, sorry I don’t know what it is called and I don’t actually have any code to show, as I am unable to find anything that does this.

Thank you

Roger

edbr
10-12-2009, 01:21 AM
what you describe you are probably usin onClick to open the pop up, to open this automatically you would need body onLoad alert however this will be possibly stopped with pop up blockers that most browsers filter as frankly its annoying to most people. Ive seen it done before by putting a javascript alert in the head so it pops up before the page loads and this defeats the pop up blockers but is still iritating (IMO)
that is simply
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
alert("Welcome to my site")
</script>
in the head.
another option that will work is body onload="open" where open is a function that opens a window, ie another html page that you can position and size
function bustOut(){
var newWin = window.open("your.html","welcome","height=300,width=300, top=300px, left=300px");

}
</script>
</head>

<body onLoad="open()">

uktv
10-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks you for the information, i have played aroud with it for a while, it works, thank you.

However i think i will leave the pop up and place the message in the page.

Thanks