PDA

View Full Version : Making my website multi lingual

glenws
10-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi guys

Hope someone can point me in the right direction?

I currently have the following website that i designed and built mysel using dreamweaver (www.jcracing91.com (http://www.jcracing91.com)).

Now the team have started competing internationally they have a lot of friends in Italy,Germany,Sweden.

I was after some advice on how to make my site multi lingual so there could be flags on the home page so the user can view in the language of thier choice. similar to the following website http://www.candb-powerboatracing.com/.

is it a simple plug on more of a complete rebuild?

Any tips would be fantastic.
Glen

DWcourse
10-10-2009, 11:18 PM
They basically have two sites. The Italian one is in the it directory and the English on is in the en directory. Basically you'll need to duplicate your site for each language. I suppose you could offer page translation by Google translate or some similar service but I double the translation quality will be what you want.

edbr
10-12-2009, 12:54 AM
yes , i do this also. separate folders. However most of the content is fed from a database so it could be possible to use php to allow selection on the same pages, text being fed from the database subject to the choice ie a seperate table for each language.easier as i have made it editable (cms)

this really would depend on the size of the site if a few pages just make static pages
so my point is that an option would be to look at a cms system , probably joomla mabo drupal etc if you do not want to create your own. joomla may have a component option already to encompass this

DWcourse
10-12-2009, 01:27 AM
my point is that an option would be to look at a cms system , probably joomla mabo drupal etc if you do not want to create your own. joomla may have a component option already to encompass this

Good suggestion but I would still keep separate urls for the various languages (which I think your suggesting).

edbr
10-12-2009, 01:43 AM
would be simpler for sure although could be done using the same pages , not totally convinced which has the most benefit frankly. i use seperatee URLas but would be interested in any opinions and reasons on that

DWcourse
10-12-2009, 01:46 AM
I'd recommend separate urls for SEO purposes. Other than that I don't see why it would matter.

edbr
10-12-2009, 02:11 AM
ok thats what i thought