PDA

View Full Version : file types and external editor

eddie
10-09-2009, 06:06 PM
I have a bunch of pdf files that will be assets to a site. I have them listed in the files panel, but when i double click DW (CS4) doesn't know how to treat them. In the edit preferences there is no entry for pdf files, so apparently there is a way to make sure DW can relate the pdf to the acrobat reader,
but i don't know how to make this work. In the adobe forums there is a document that would apparently resolve this, my editing the Extensions.txt and other files, but I am not sure this is what i am after. Just like you double click on a jpg and you have fireworks open the file, i want to dbl click the pdf file and have adobe acrobat open the file. How can i do this?
thanks in advance,
eddie

domedia
10-09-2009, 06:37 PM
If you want to open it, just do it like any other file, not from within DW.
If you want the user to open them, just link to them and the users system will take care of the rest.
Is this what you meant?

eddie
10-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks for your reply, but not exactly what i meant. Yes outside of DW of course the file type is recognized. Perhaps by way of further explanation the thing becomes clearer ( or not...)
The reason i want to do this inside of DW is that ;
1)The files reside inside the scope of the web site assets, so its easier than hunting them down inside explorer. They are all in the files panel.
2) once they are opened I can process them a special way - first of all i will be making a rollover image of the titles of the document ( snagit)
and rename the documents so that they are relevant ( right now they are not semantically named, such as 1.pdf, 2.pdf etc. there are 40 such documents named this way)

domedia
10-09-2009, 07:04 PM
ah, ok.
Don't think that is going to work :-(
Take them out of the assets directory and work with them outside of DW. All renaming and graphic making etc.
When you're at the point where you're finished, add the files that are completed into the assets directory or wherever you need them.
I guess it's more of a point of view, but they don't really belong in the website directory until they're complete.

eddie
10-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for your reply. They are assets directly related to the website, so i beg to differ with you on that point.;-) And well yes I can do everything outside of DW, but since they(Adobe/Macromedia) gave us the ability to use the external editor feature, I suppose I am trying to learn how to use this built in feature/device they gave us...The issue isn't whether I can do the thing, but how i want to do it.:lol:
I think most people can suffer to use the technology at 5% of its overall capability, and do just fine. I want to get to 6%...
some time later...
Ok i figured it out.
in the Edit->Preferences->File types add ".pdf .PDF" with the "+" if pdf extensions are not already listed there.
in the Editors Panel immediately click "+" and add the location on your hard disk for the acrobat program, or whatever reader of adobe documents you want to use. Choose Primary and your are done. I think i had done all that but not chosen Primary. Close and reopen DW and see if that does the trick. For now it seems to be working, for me anyway...
I don't think you need to touch the Extensions.txt document in the configuration folder.

DWcourse
10-10-2009, 05:46 PM
There are + (plus) and - (minus) signs above the list of file types in the File Types/Editors section of the preferences. Clicking the plus sign lets you add a file type to the list.